Some Piece of equipment you feel is overly hyped

Retumbo and Lil gun powder. Never had good luck with them.

Bushnell scopes (high end).
Unfortunately, my 338 LM prefers Rotumbo, which is a thing of my imagination. It does almost as well with 869 and gives decent groups with H1000. I'm going to try 570 only because I found a pound. We'll see if the "hype is justified.

I'll second borescopes. Mostly all the BS that's preached about breaking in barrels and making people think they need to go to confession if they don't purify their riflebore every 37 rds or whatever they're into. 🙄
I do like borescopes mainly because I really dislike copper deposits in my barrels.

All primitive weapons is No. 1 for me. Why would any intellegent and ethical person use a less accurate, more complicated, and shorter range weapon that
guarantees a much higher probability of wounding game animals. Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Sig's new 6.8mm/270 Fury or 6.8x51mm or whatever they are calling it, they could have done much better without all the pressure. Just my 0.2 Cheers

That's why any of my customers looking at a scope I take OUTSIDE! Just the service alone impresses the heck out of them!

I thought all stores did that.
My favorite couple of places have adjustable stocks, with a full action, barrel etc, and rail to swap scopes onto, and they are happy to put any scopes they have onto them and let me go outside and view them. They are not in some city center, but plenty of bush around, and good distances also. Maybe its just this area, and in some cities they don't let customers do so. Gun stores around here also do demo days, where they bring an assortment of rifles and scopes to the gun club, and let customers shoot them.
Again, maybe it's a 'here' thing, and not everywhere.
I got to shoot a Christensen 7prc at the gun club before ever buying one.
They had rifles topped with many brands of scopes there the same demo day as I shot the Christensen 7prc, and it was surprising that the Swarovski scopes were no better than the other scopes there, just more money. I mentioned that to the woman who was helping me, and she said that her experience was the same as mine, and she is 25 year shooter, teacher, gun shop employee, and avid hunter. She was given a Swarovski scope by Swarovski, put it on her fav rifle, sighted it in, hunted 1 season with it, took it off and sold it.
Before long a small crowd had gathered around us, listening, and some chiming in. There stood about 16 to 18 of us all in agreement the most over hyped scope brand had to be Swarovski.
Its not that they are junk....they seem to be okay, just not any better than anyone else's scope which is half the price.
Me, well I would rather buy 2 awesome scopes for the same price, and top 2 rifles with them.
Some people have said that a $9,000 rifle shoots so much nicer than the rest do to. Again for me, it was fine, but didn't shoot any better than the Christensen, it just cost a lot more. In fact my group was tighter using the demo Christensen 7prc, which was topped by a Zeiss scope that day. Again the Zeiss was every bit as good as the Swarovski, but cheaper.
We all have to make our own decisions on what to buy, I personally don't find that more expensive always equals better.
Just the same as some people hate the PRC cartridges. I don't pretend to understand why, but they are certainly entitled to their opinion.
But possibly the most split groups ever are based around the 6.5 creed. On one side is the group who say its the best thing ever made for hunting, and on the other side is the haters, who swear it's the most over hyped thing ever invented.
I have no dog in this fight, don't own one, but shot a few.
Certainly wouldn't claim that its terrible, or the best thing made.
I feel like it works well enough, and fills the gap for many they want filled. But don't understand why some need to hate it so dramatically. If you hate it, never buy one, problem solved.
Feeling a product is over rated is one thing, but I don't understand how anyone can have such deep hatred for an inanimate object. Best thing about it is nobody can be forced to buy anything.
Yes many products are over hyped, but in our hobby, for me, its still Swarovski, and a close #2 would be Gunwerks rifles. But I don't hate them, those companies haven't done me wrong, just find them overly expensive.

Sherman Cartridge line and hammer bullets
This guy still shoots a 30-06 and buys his bullets from the local hardware the day before season. And refuses to buy anything but a v-8.

Not sure they can be considered overrated if they do what they say they will. Especially the Sherman line where we can measure them. He sold them with specific numbers and those have been achieved. If you were expecting more than he states that's on you. Same with hammers they do what everyone says they will.