Some Piece of equipment you feel is overly hyped

A little off track, but throwing this one out there…

YouTube shooting and hunting videos. Not really equipment, but it leads to a lot of overthinking and overhyping things.

People think they can be 1mile shooter if they buy the stuff from the video and go to the range. The videos rarely explain the practice, tuning, and range time it takes to shoot far.
With a little practice and the right equipment anyone can hit the ground at a mile!

75 brands of Chinese scopes that have an army of internet brand groupies swearing best ever this and that whenever a newbie asks for a "good scope that will reach out to a mile...." i mean, let's start with that stupid question first....

Gotta get you to a mile, have repeatable turrets, glass just as good as a tangent theta and be under a grand..... have a lifetime warranty from the company that didn't exist 10 minutes ago.... have illumination brighter than the Arizona sun, and some vague reference to schott....

With a little practice and the right equipment anyone can hit the ground at a mile!
IMG_3674.jpeg

I will say this that it is very hard to tell how good a scope is by just picking it up and looking at something across the store. To see the real difference a guy needs to take it outside and look at something at distance with some sort of solid rest
30+ years ago the owner of the shop that I worked in taught me to look at leaves on a tree at some distance. He had me start in the middle of the glass and get the leaves sharp, then move the scope so that the leaves are at the EDGE to the glass. He also taught me to do this test at both extremes of any variable power setting, and to preferably do all of this shopping at dusk or close to it. Most any semi-decent glass grinder can produce lens' that give a sharp image in the middle of the lens, but only a really good grinder can give you the same image all the way across the lens at any power setting.

Anyone who has spent any serious time in the field behind Swaro glass would have A VERY hard time saying they are overhyped.
Looking through any optic in a store is a waste of time.

my list would be:
  • Anything Creedmoor or PRC
  • Hammer Bullets
  • SWFA scopes
  • Anything the supporters on Rokslide say (Geesh what a cult over there)

I can assure you that deer don't like axe anything too! Maybe pine or cedar with a slight floral note 😃

Spruce for the wildlife, and 2 stroke smoke for the lady.
I had to start my YZ85 this morning just to smell it, then couldn't resist going for a ride. If axe would come out with new scents such as spruce, and 2 stroke exhaust, they would be a huge hit.

Hyped and hate are different. I have rarely hated anything in the hunting and shooting world. What really gets me is the claims or proclamations that a specific component or piece of equipment is the best for all applications. We are so spoiled by the vast array of choices available today. Bullet and rifle scope threads can bring out some interesting claims and opinions. Do you always get great value for your dollar? I can only answer that for myself.

Yes I have a 7PRC. Does what I thought it would do, not disappointed in velo, Hornady is the over-hyper in general though.
And by the way so do you 🤣
I have with several of them.
Can't tell anything inside of a store.
That's why any of my customers looking at a scope I take OUTSIDE! Just the service alone impresses the heck out of them!