some assistance needed :)

Texas Republic

Somewhat new to the forum.
Been looking for some instruction/opinions on accurately mounting scope, breaking in barrel, zeroing, etc. The whole process. I searched for a thread but didnt find anything. Someone kindly point me in the right direction? I figured there was a great thread on the process and how exactly to do it. Just couldnt find it.
Thanks. :)

Well, I'd recommend fixed rings without windage screws for the rear because that's just one more issue you may have when trying to accurately line up the rings with the action. Once the lower rings are in place, lap them. I just let a gunsmith mount mine so they can double check that the bases/rings/ scope are level and true with the action/bore. They can do this much better than me.

There are many good articles on barrel break in. You can find them on Dan Lilja's website and Krieger's website. Just search there for proper barrel break-in procedures.

The short of break-in is this: use a good bore guide, like a Lucas, proper rod, jag, brush, and a good solvent. Shoot and clean for at least 10 rounds on a handlapped barrel, or up to 20-25 with a factory barrel. Then shoot 3 and clean, for about 2-3 cycles, then 1x/5 shots 1 time.

Many more details on Kriegers website. Plus you can go to youtube and find some videos, but beware of one or 2 that I found where a guy who is beyond clueless shows cleaning a bolt action from the muzzle end.

Finally, accuratereloading.com has a forum called gun cleaning. Search there also.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.