Soliciting Suggestions for a 6.5mm Build

Another vote for 6.5 x 55. I have had a few and all were excellent shooters. If it's a hunter nowadays I go for the sloping shoulders for better feed and extraction reasons. If it's a bench rifle straight walled is probably better. I have owned lots of AI and they suited their use. Over the years I made an 8x57 into an 8-06 AI, a .308 into a 30-06 AI, and a 7 BR into a 7-06 AI so I could gain velocity and keep the barrel length, but the only one that I was really happy with was the 30-06 AI and that was because the rifle was a charm to carry and hunt with as well as giving exceptional velocities with some of the newer powders. With modern scopes and range finders velocity is less of an issue than my ability to shoot the rifle well in the field. My days of building AI's is past.

Thank you, one and all, for your insights and inputs for choosing a 6.5mm cartridge. Between the research I've done on my own and the various opinions and experience related here, I have decided to go with the 6.5x47 Lapua. If nothing else, and typical of myself, just something "different". I have two other rifle builds out at the gunsmith, old Euro classics in 8x68s and 9.3x64 Brenekke... just something "different". You only live once, right?!!

Should be a fun trip. The rifle shows up tomorrow and will go off to the gunsmith for rechambering while I work on the wood stock to get it back up to snuff and swapped over to a DBM setup.

Again, many thanks to the LRSF community. You guys helped build this rifle!
Greg

Thank you, one and all, for your insights and inputs for choosing a 6.5mm cartridge. Between the research I've done on my own and the various opinions and experience related here, I have decided to go with the 6.5x47 Lapua. If nothing else, and typical of myself, just something "different". I have two other rifle builds out at the gunsmith, old Euro classics in 8x68s and 9.3x64 Brenekke... just something "different". You only live once, right?!!

Should be a fun trip. The rifle shows up tomorrow and will go off to the gunsmith for rechambering while I work on the wood stock to get it back up to snuff and swapped over to a DBM setup.

Again, many thanks to the LRSF community. You guys helped build this rifle!
Greg
Make sure you can get dies and brass/ammo for it 1st!

6.5, non-magnum, short action? They are all going to push the same bullets, at practically the same speeds. The creedmoor is the easy, practical solution. Great factory ammo is more available than all the other options combined. No worries about COAL limiting you on bullet choice either. Any other option just seems to me like more complication just for a different head stamp on your brass.

I like your 9.3x64 Brenekke idea. I have been working with a 9.3x62 Mauser for the last few years and it's a heavy hitter. A few friends went for the Brenekke and it's at least equal to the .375 H&H. It even kicks like one.

It's being built on a commercial Mauser action which I thought was appropriate. I'm hoping the stock design and a brake will help mitigate some of that recoil. I did NOT go heavy on the barrel to keep it carry-comfortable. Maybe 9# tops with a scope?? Pics are a .284 just finished with nearly the same configuration, including the wood.

Attachments

• P8180004.JPG
    P8180004.JPG
    498.4 KB · Views: 30
  • P8180005.JPG
    P8180005.JPG
    338.1 KB · Views: 32
  • P8180006.JPG
    P8180006.JPG
    431.8 KB · Views: 32