So close but so far. A little story.

Down Under Hunter

I thought I'd pen a wee tale about a hunt that almost was this past hunting season in Aus.

One small species of deer we have here are called Hog deer. And I just love hunting them.

Season is only the month of April and you are only allowed to legally harvest one male and female.

I scout these deer for the 4 months prior my hunt and see some great deer along the way. For the past 3 seasons I have been using basic trail cams to assist. Through these I have found some great deer in some tough to scout country.

This story evolves around one such deer. I happened to see him prior the 2006 season on trail cam and thought he was a great deer then. In the end I felt he might be the better for another year and decided not to hunt him that season. I never saw another contender that year so my tag was not filled. See trail cam pic below
hogdeer289.jpg

In December of 06 I happened to be on the first scouting trip and saw a flash of a stag in the same area that grabbed my attention. Trail cams were placed and finally he showed for the pics.

DSC01172.jpg

Then a few weeks later I got him with all his velvet off and looking very fine indeed

DSC00550_edited.jpg

Over the course of the next 3 months the cameras rolled and took around 100 shots of this magnificent deer. Without question the largest stag I had set eyes on in that piece of country. He definitely became the focus of those few months as family life was put on hold whilst sticking with him and his movements.

During late Feb he broke the top 1 1/2 inches of his left main beam, but still he was a standout. Big, old and white faced. A six plus year old stag. Just what I try to harvest.

Tree stands were hung for every conceivable scenario and wind. So it was just going to come down to patience. So I thought ?

ICAM0199_edited.jpg

April one rolled around and I was in position as the sun came up. Wind not to bad so I was set for the ambush.

The deer had been religiously watering through the middle part of the day so I was feeling confident of an encounter. Two o'clock rolled around with no sighting and the wind a bit all over the place. Then I heard that dreaded sound. A close range dull report of a rifle... then silence... then again BOOOM...... You have got to be kidding !

Well you know the rest of the story. The paid trophy hunter hanging his tree stand on the adjacent property just happened to be walking down the track at the right time when the stag crossed a clearing headed for my waterhole. And the rest is history, as they say.

The stag was aged at 8 years old and the largest I know of harvested for the 2007 Victorian season.

Here is the last pic I took of him , drinking at around midnight on the night of the season opening. Kind of erie isn't it ?

ICAM0006_edited.jpg

Scouting has already begun and the 338 edge is hungry !!

Hope you enjoyed the tale.

Cheers

DUH

That's too bad you didn't get your animal, but it looks like you have some really neat areas to hunt. Much different than the thornbush crap in the woods in Missouri.

Please excuse my ignorance by educating me. In the 1st picture there is a grey, white bellied animal with a long tail behind the stag. All that can be seen clearly in the rump.

Please, what is that grey animal in that photo?

Mike Alford

Please excuse my ignorance by educating me. In the 1st picture there is a grey, white bellied animal with a long tail behind the stag. All that can be seen clearly in the rump.

Please, what is that grey animal in that photo?

Mike Alford

Mike,

I'd be happy to enlighten you to one of our national treasures. This is a kangaroo or A.K.A- Skippy the bush kangaroo. They live throughout Hog deer country.

DUH

Thank You DUH

I've just never seen one from that end and in that poition. Thank you very much for informing me.

Mike Alford

Thanks for a great story. Appreciate your effort to get some excellent photos. You are fortunate to be able to spend time finding good trophy animals, your cameras are obviously helping that endevour. In the third image there appears to be a small white building in the trees in the background, is that a shooting blind? Also I would be interested to hear what feed you place in your feeder tubs to attract and hold these deer. In parts of N. America a lot of corn is used, other areas use a variety of vegetables, fruit and forage. Where I live the outfitters use a lot of oats, barley and alfalfa to attract deer to shooting lanes.
Sure enjoyed seeing such different habitat and creatures than we are used to experiencing.

Thanks for a great story. Appreciate your effort to get some excellent photos. You are fortunate to be able to spend time finding good trophy animals, your cameras are obviously helping that endevour. In the third image there appears to be a small white building in the trees in the background, is that a shooting blind? Also I would be interested to hear what feed you place in your feeder tubs to attract and hold these deer. In parts of N. America a lot of corn is used, other areas use a variety of vegetables, fruit and forage. Where I live the outfitters use a lot of oats, barley and alfalfa to attract deer to shooting lanes.
Sure enjoyed seeing such different habitat and creatures than we are used to experiencing.

Ian,

The building you see in the background is the corner of a small house. As far as the black bins they are infact watering points for the deer to get clean water in this dry environment they live in.

I just love pre season. Finding that needle in a haystack deer, hunting the hell out of him and finally harvesting him after a long and enjoyable hunt.

DUH

you make it sound and it certainly looks like fairly close range hunting. are you gonna use that Edge to hunt those things? looks more like a scenario for a short barreled 308? thanks for the story and pics. great stuff.

you make it sound and it certainly looks like fairly close range hunting. are you gonna use that Edge to hunt those things? looks more like a scenario for a short barreled 308? thanks for the story and pics. great stuff.

Dave,

Glad you liked the read. I also hunt them in some really wide open country and that is where the edge will be employed. You are exactly right, I use a .308 or 30/06 single shot rifle for all the close in work and climbing trees with.

Have a nice day.

DUH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.