So close but so far. A little story.

dave you beat me....

to the punch....my question was gonna be what the heck you need a rifle capable of 1.5 mile shooting to hit that sucker when the camera pics look to be about 30 yds!!!!

DUH, i have followed your posts for a while and sure enjoy your stories and descriptions of the hunting opportunities down there, this one is no exception. i used to read with fascination about hunters being paid to shoot deer in AUS & NZ way back when.....had i been a little older at the time , i would prob have made a move to the southern hemisphere. keep the stories coming! G'Day Mate...AJ

to the punch....my question was gonna be what the heck you need a rifle capable of 1.5 mile shooting to hit that sucker when the camera pics look to be about 30 yds!!!!

DUH, i have followed your posts for a while and sure enjoy your stories and descriptions of the hunting opportunities down there, this one is no exception. i used to read with fascination about hunters being paid to shoot deer in AUS & NZ way back when.....had i been a little older at the time , i would prob have made a move to the southern hemisphere. keep the stories coming! G'Day Mate...AJ

AJ,

Glad you enjoyed the read. We sure do have some fun stuff to hunt, but we don't have bull elk ? I might have to move to your side of the world ?

Cheers

DUH

Down Hunter

Thanks for posting. You have some really special countryside there. I really like the pic of him in velvet looking towards the camera it looks a really superb spot.

I am very sorry you didn't catch up with him. I know its hunting but with all the hard preparatory work you put in you derved to catch up with him in my opinion. I would be gutted.

Thanks for posting the pics and they look a super deer.

Mike, I saw that as well. I could be wrong but I think it's a kangaroo showing us his good side. I have seen a few fights between species who are competing for the same food, I wonder how that works out in Australia what with all the critters Down Under.

I can certainly relate to the frustration, was chasing a 160 class whitetail for three years. It was the biggest, oldest deer I or any of my buddies had seen around here and one guy is 75.Last fall I was on top of a small hill overlooking a cornfield and several bedding areas,calling coyotes. Just before dawn this deer walks out of 60 acres of chest high grass,across a harvested corn field on his way to his bed. This 160 class buck is walking across in front of my stand not 100 yard's away! I'm laying there with remington lvvs in 223 on a bipod and I can't lay a finger on him, it's two week's till my season starts ! I would start my caller for a second he would freeze and look, then continue walking till I hit the foxpro,we did that half a dozen times till he reached his bed and laid down!

I went back two weeks later,same hill,same spot but a muzzle loader this time. No deer, went and checked his bed for the rest of the one week season,nada.Finally walked up to his bed and found 30 dead pig's in the little depression that buck had used. Never saw the buck again.
In the immortal word's of Charlie Brown:AAAAAUUUUUUUGGGGHHHH!

Last edited:
AJ,

I wish I could get to CO at some stage, but with a 2 year old daughter and another due in May I'll have a busy next couple of years. Maybe if you get out here we can line some critters up for you ?

I have had a good run on bulls in the past. I've hunted the migration out of Yellowstone at Gardiner twice and killed a couple of mid 350 bulls that I enjoy looking at every day. For me, they are at the top of the list !

No better way to see the mountains than by horseback, dont you think ??

Cheers

i think it was gus.....

.....in my favorite movie "lonesome dove " that said, " theres nothing like riding a fine horse thru new country".....i tend to agree......best of luck with your family.....raising kids these days, you need all the luck you can get....i have an almost 2 yr old granddaughter....wouldnt it be neat if someday they could meet?....AJ

DUH, Late season at Gardnier, huh? Which outfitter did you use, Warren Johnson, Bill Hoppe, or Slip & Slide? Been there and done that several times. Cant do it as easy anymore, the permits have been reduced to less than 150 cause the herd size has dwindled so much. Have a g'day.........
Jim

DUH, Late season at Gardnier, huh? Which outfitter did you use, Warren Johnson, Bill Hoppe, or Slip & Slide? Been there and done that several times. Cant do it as easy anymore, the permits have been reduced to less than 150 cause the herd size has dwindled so much. Have a g'day.........
Jim

Jim,

I have hunted with Warren and Sue twice. Both of my hunts have been late general season in November. God I love that place ! I'd live there if I could. Seems to be getting tougher every year with less snow and slower migrations from the Park. The wolves have hit them real hard, but the word is the wolves may be in trouble with a disease ?

Man I love it out west ! Great friends and fun hunting.

DUH

Not sure about disease, but if the Feds delist them this year they may be in trouble with us hunters!

God wouldn't it be great to see 500 head a day coming over the line in 2 ft of powder. I wish I was there to see that. Both years I have hunted were tough seasons, but this past season was like I had never seen it. The Paradise Valley looked more like Afghanastan in Late NOV ?

What years did you hunt there and how did it treat you ?

Cheers

DUH

DUH, I hunted late season there from the early 80's to about 2001 or 02. I started out as a foot soldier walking in, and borrowing a snow machine to drag the game out, and as I got older, weaker and wiser I started using an outfitter. They only charged $150/day for late season and getting a cow used to be fairly routine. Then in '95 they reintroduced the wolves into Yellowstone and the rest is history. I think in all I probably harvested about 15 cows during the late season hunts. I was only skunked one year.
It was a fun hunt and my son and I truly enjoyed it as well as the friendship of the outfitters we grew to know. I actually did see that 500 head you were talking about over on Deckard Flats a couple of times. The thing that really blew my mind was how they will string out with a big ole cow in the lead and cover territory in single file like a big freight train. Awesone!! Thanks you for bringing that back to my memory, I need to remember those days more often. They wont be back, I'm afraid. Take care, and God Bless
Jim

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.