Small Base Sizing Die Issues?

So, I spray the tray of brass front, sides, diagonally. Then as I set the brass in the shell holder I run my fingers from top to bottom to thin it out evenly. So, still too much, eh?
One thing that I noticed made a slight difference with me is dwell time. when you run the ram all the way up and your handle is at the bottom pause for just a second or two before releasing and see if that makes a difference for you

One thing that I noticed made a slight difference with me is dwell time. when you run the ram all the way up and your handle is at the bottom pause for just a second or two before releasing and see if that makes a difference for you
I've been doing this for a few years now, :cool: Thanks though!

. Sometimes it goes .006". Too much lube and getting hydrostatic sizing? Or is this what small base dies do?

Small base dies do nothing more than size brass slightly smaller. That's it.

If you have some brass at .002 and some at .006, your probably really sizing everything at .002 assuming you have a good press to die setup with no slop.

Do you have the same issue with
Other brass?
PPU and LC tend to be hard brass with spring back.

1. Switch to imperial lube. A little goes a loooong way. Great stuff. Without changing a thing, size the .006 brass again once or twice and see if that goes to .002 or reduces substantially towards .002

2. some guys will run stubborn .308 brass through a .30-06 die first to get it to reduce down.

If you are still at .006, then you got mechanical issues somewhere. Too much play somewhere.

Last edited:
Be as consistent as you can, especially when trying to diagnose issues like these.
Is lube getting where it needs to be, consistently, batch to batch?
Dwell time consistent?
Brass consistent?
Are you measuring datum headspace of each round over a string and getting erratic results? What, then, is the variable?
Mostly, im thinking, does the press flex? Die move? Brass hardness variable? Brass sticking in die? Is the die relatively smooth, and clean other than the necessary amount of lube to make it work correctly?

The issue of brands of dies and shellholders not working together must only be dimensional. They aren't sentient and they don't have preferences. The variables then are mostly die settings, press tolerances/tightness, lube type, amount and location, and brass condition(s).
If the fl sized headspace length is too long with the fl sb die buried into the shellholder with a case in the works, either the die is too long/deep or the shellholder is too high. Dont get wrapped around the brand. Just swap shellholders til you find a lower one, or remove enough thickness to make the combo work for that brass.
Camming a press can induce stresses that will flex parts and wear things. This wear induces a new variable that you have to chase. Be careful. This headspace thing is important and needs to be consistent for accuracy and even safety.

If what you are trying to do is set the shoulder back, take a look at Redding*s "Competition Shellholder Set , You can order the set in any shellholder #. There are 5 holders in a set and each one is .002 thicker.
Good luck !

With the Hornady head & shoulders gauge comparator fired brass is 3.621". I am bumping the shoulders down (or tyring) to 3.618" as I'm running a gas gun. I'll have to size brass twice to get it to 3.618", but 1 in 5 required slightly less pressure and they go 3.615".

With the Hornady head & shoulders gauge comparator fired brass is 3.621". I am bumping the shoulders down (or tyring) to 3.618" as I'm running a gas gun. I'll have to size brass twice to get it to 3.618", but 1 in 5 required slightly less pressure and they go 3.615".
What you are missing here is no baseline is set, your die is set to bump .006", subpar lube job is the variance.

I didn't know you were running a gas gun. But if I did mix brass I haven't needed a small base die yet for a gas gun. Even when using one shot. I did however polish my expander ball being careful to not reduce the diameter of the ball much. Honestly I'd consider getting a small base x dies. Shouldn't have to trim after that. First things first get a rcbs shellholder.

Ever figure something out?
I had to create some reloadable brass yesterday first to test my heavier buffer I installed. I was getting ejector smears even with my adjustable gas block on full bleed off. It proved successful! My smears went away and I established a new gas setting that functions when the gun is fouled. So, I'll get to the sizing here soon and let you all know if I got it figured out.