Small Base Sizing Die Issues?

You don't say if your shell holder is touching the sizing die and "camming over". It may be a lube issue but .003 seems alot. If not touching shell holder to die, you may see inconsistent sizing, especially with small base dies as they generally take significantly more force. This can flex the press frame and cause inconsistencies. Let us know what you find to solve the issue.

I use Imperial exclusively but waited 8 months to find a couple new cans. Bruno's had finally received a shipment.

You don't say if your shell holder is touching the sizing die and "camming over". It may be a lube issue but .003 seems alot. If not touching shell holder to die, you may see inconsistent sizing, especially with small base dies as they generally take significantly more force. This can flex the press frame and cause inconsistencies. Let us know what you find to solve the issue.

I agree with Tiny Tim ,I think he nailed it . I'm guessing lube is the problem too . the lube is not slippy enough . the friction is causing the die to not seat against the shellholder , giving erratic shoulder bumps .

I've went full circle on case lube , I'm back to the lube pad and RCBS case lube 2 .

What press is being used? A wimpy press or a musclebound RCBS Rockchukar?
If a stout press, resize case, rotate case 180 degrees, resize again.
Shouldn't be any problems.

Should really only require 1 resize step on a stout press. But try two just to see if it makes any difference. Sometimes it will result in more consistent shoulder setbacks.

Last edited:
I'm using Hornady One Shot...maybe need to use less?
I have used Imperial & RCBS Pad.
I now only use ONE SHOT. I get a Gallon Freezer Slider Zip Lock Bag, Spray the inside of the bag, load up about 50 cases, then give it another spray on the cases, zip the slider up on the bag, shake with rolling the cases around. All the cases then have a thin coating and never had a problem with FL sizing!

Last edited:
So, what you all are telling me is to upgrade my 20yr old Lee 4 hole turret press? Ok, well Forster CO-AX it is! LOL

Maybe I should start with the die. I have not this issue with others. Maybe the lock ring covering the air release hole isn't letting the air out enough. Anyway, here is what I'm working with:

Lee turret press
RCBS small base 308 WIN die
Hornady #1 shell holder
Hornady One Shot lube
Privi Partisan PPU brass 3-4 times fired (Now annealed)

I thought annealing would help, but no dice.

So, what you all are telling me is to upgrade my 20yr old Lee 4 hole turret press? Ok, well Forster CO-AX it is! LOL

Maybe I should start with the die. I have not this issue with others. Maybe the lock ring covering the air release hole isn't letting the air out enough. Anyway, here is what I'm working with:

Lee turret press
Hornady #1 shell holder
Hornady One Shot lube

It is inconsistent lubing of the cases, only the bottom half of a case needs lube. Get your brass lubed evenly and any discrepancies in the bump should be able to be felt on the stroke of the press.

It is inconsistent lubing of the cases, only the bottom half of a case needs lube. Get your brass lubed evenly and any discrepancies in the bump should be able to be felt on the stroke of the press.
So, I spray the tray of brass front, sides, diagonally. Then as I set the brass in the shell holder I run my fingers from top to bottom to thin it out evenly. So, still too much, eh?

Lee turret press
Hornady #1 shell holder
Hornady One Shot lube

if you have the die adjusted down to make firm contact with the shellholder WITHOUT a piece of brass . now put in a piece of lubed brass run it all the way up into the die . is the die still making contact with the shellholder , or has it gapped away a little bit ? if it has any gap that is the amount you're not sizing the brass . a better lube will cure this problem . it's not too much spray lube , you need better lube .

a plugged air vent hole will cause dents .

So, I spray the tray of brass front, sides, diagonally. Then as I set the brass in the shell holder I run my fingers from top to bottom to thin it out evenly. So, still too much, eh?
Tip your brass case mouth down in the tray and spray like you do, you are under lubing not over lubing.