Small Base Sizing Die Issues?

DoneNOut

Loading for my Aero M5 308 AR 300yd hog blaster and fired brass takes two to three trips into the new small base die to get the shoulder bump down .003". Sometimes it goes .006". Too much lube and getting hydrostatic sizing? Or is this what small base dies do?

Loading for my Aero M5 308 AR 300yd hog blaster and fired brass takes two to three trips into the new small base die to get the shoulder bump down .003". Sometimes it goes .006". Too much lube and getting hydrostatic sizing? Or is this what small base dies do?
Are you using the same manufacturer for dies and shellholder?

I've noticed that if I use for example a RBCS die with Hornady shellholder the combo won't allow the die to size correctly. I had this happen but I cannot remember the combination. Other thing is was the brass all the same manufacturer and fired from the same rifle.

Hmmm, never heard that one (with the die/shelholder combo), very interesting!

I have a Redding small base die for a .308 I use for semi auto's and never had any issues, but I was using an rcbs shellholder....I generally use imperial case sizing wax when I use a small base die (vs hornady one shot), not sure if that makes a difference?

I have a Redding small base die for a .308 I use for semi auto's and never had any issues, but I was using an rcbs shellholder....I generally use imperial case sizing wax when I use a small base die (vs hornady one shot), not sure if that makes a difference?
I'm using Hornady One Shot...maybe need to use less?

I'm using Hornady One Shot...maybe need to use less?
I was sizing some lake city brass on the small base die, and that stuff was very tough, and I actually ended up getting two of them stuck, so switched to imperial case sizing wax, and while it took a little longer to do, it took much less force to size the brass, I could see that if you have to use more force, it can induce tolerance issues from the press, where as if your using less force, it induces less tolerance issues.

I would try the other shellholder first if you have one, if nothing else simply just as a test to see if that makes a difference? Then maybe try some imperial case sizing wax if that doesn't help....hopefully someone else will come in with a smarter idea than what I can offer ha ha.

Imperial seems to have better lubricity than one shot. But I use both and they both work. I'm considering going old school and using a oil for better lubricity since I tumble all the lube off anyways. As a side note when people say they cannot get a FL die to size I've found that usually they use a different manufacturer from dies to shellholder. I should of kept better records of the combo.

I'm heavily influenced by Ken Waters and many times instead of an expander ball he'd use a Lee Expander Mandrel. He felt that caused less case stretch which I found to be correct. But it adds an extra step to loading.

Different shell holders can cause differing case shoulder setback, with any given resizing die .

You can measure the different shell holder heights with calipers when this happens.

But you didn't say you were using different shell holders, yet you're getting different case shoulder setback.

I like Hornady Unique case lube better than Imperial. But both are good. Don't like Hornady one shot spray.

Lube your interior case necks with a Qtip and Imperial sizing wax or Hornady Unique, if the expander button is dragging on the way out of the case neck.

If you still get differing shoulder setbacks, I'd anneal the cases and see if that helps.

Case shoulder setback should be more uniform. Within 0.0005" - 0.001".

Recent Posts