Small Base Dies; Question?

CaptnC

Will a small base die size the entire case?

I have never needed to size a case over the entire length, but need to for a new barrel that has a super tight chamber.

Looks like a small base 6.5X284 die is a lot cheaper that 100 pieces of new Lapua brass...about 4X cheaper! Plus I will still have the die at the end of the day for future use!

Yes. It's just a full length die that's set at minimum dimensions. It might work and it might not. I have had mixed results doing what you're trying to do. About half the time it ends up with me just having to buy new brass.

I usually buy enough brass when I buy a barrel to burn that barrel out by the time I have 10 loads on each case. If I buy more than that I end up where you are with brass that's got enough life left to be wanting to use it and not always being able to. In such cases, the brass now goes into a bag that's attached to the pulled barrel and I just keep those for the end of the world when people won't be so picky.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.