Small base dies full lenght dies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fl cracker

Im new to reloading so dont roast me. My father reloaded hes passed away now. Im aware that you are spose to use small base dies for semi autos and full lenght for bolt guns. My question is since i have same caliber guns in bolt and semi auto. Is it ok to load bolt action guns with the small base dies to keep from buying 2 sets of dies.

I do know your not spose to use full lenght on semi autos, thanx

Yes, you can use the small base dies for both. A potential drawback could be that you might be working your brass for the bolt action a little more than necessary, depending on your chamber.

Yes, you can use the small base dies for both. A potential drawback could be that you might be working your brass for the bolt action a little more than necessary, depending on your chamber.
Right just trying to keep from buying 2 sets of dies. I guess in long run its best to bite the bullet and do it

Yep, that's what I told him on his other thread (https://www.longrangehunting.com/th...and-rcbs-small-base-dies.274269/#post-2229803) ...
Then pick one for your intended purpose and move on. That is why I provided the video instead because you might not need it as the video shows. You need to figure out what your "actual" chamber needs, just like the video between two ARs.

Im new to reloading so dont roast me. My father reloaded hes passed away now. Im aware that you are spose to use small base dies for semi autos and full lenght for bolt guns. My question is since i have same caliber guns in bolt and semi auto. Is it ok to load bolt action guns with the small base dies to keep from buying 2 sets of dies.

I do know your not spose to use full lenght on semi autos, thanx
This has already been answered twice but your not listening

edit to add:
Full length will work well for gas guns. If you're concerned, get a set of SB dies and also get a case checker.
I have SB dies for 223 and 6.8. I also have full length 223, which I use more often than the SB dies. The rest of my gas gun cartridges get FL sizing.
I use the case checker. If it fits that, it will fit my AR and my bolt gun. If it doesn't, it won't fit either gun.

Last edited:
They are both full length dies, small base dies just squeeze the lower part of the case more. Now that statement needs to be put in context. Since there is no standard fl sizing die specs for a cartridge, there are also no small base die specs. Each die manufacturer has their own specs so small base does not actually mean anything. What you really want is the correct die for your chamber and you wont know that until to know your chamber size and how much the die sizes the brass. Not a convenient answer however. What we as the shooting community need to know is what the resize die will measure. Die makers don't publish that data because then they would have to meet those specs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts