Adjustable Base and Rings???

Ernie

SPONSOR
Who is making adjustable Base and Rings for shooting distances of 2500-3500 yards?
I plan to go to 3K next year with a specialty pistol and am looking for options.

I had good success with the Ivey ring set up in the past. I would put roughly 50 moa in the rings, then use the scope to run farther out. 50 moa put the rifle at 1,760 yards. I eventually sold the rings, as I switched to a lower magnification scope, which allowed for more internal elevation adjustment. I typically shoot in the 16x area when punching paper at 1,760.

If I were to go back to the adjustable ring/base set up, I would most definitely experiment with the MOAB base. It was not on the market at the time I used the Ivey rings.

Thanks Joel.
I have been busy doing some correspondence since I posted this.
I am going with the Cold Shot MOAB. What I like about the MOAB is it is cheaper than the IVY, it sits lower than the IVY and it has faster adjustment. Zero your dial at 100 and you can actually use the MOAB to do all of your vertical adjustment to 150 MOA (Actually more than that) and keep your scope optically centered the whole time. They even have have a pin that will give you 300 MOA.
I am impressed!
It only raises the base .75" and now you can use low rings becasue of it's design.

I had good success with the Ivey ring set up in the past. I would put roughly 50 moa in the rings, then use the scope to run farther out. 50 moa put the rifle at 1,760 yards. I eventually sold the rings, as I switched to a lower magnification scope, which allowed for more internal elevation adjustment. I typically shoot in the 16x area when punching paper at 1,760.

If I were to go back to the adjustable ring/base set up, I would most definitely experiment with the MOAB base. It was not on the market at the time I used the Ivey rings.

The two biggest cons of the Ivey rings were the difficulty in reading the graduations, and the height in which the rings placed the optics on the base.

Good choice in going with the MOAB.

Could one of these style scope bases be used for a subsonic rifle cartridge to increase their effective range ??? If they have 300 MOA of adjustment. For intance a subsonic 50 caliber rifle cartridge using Hornady 750 grain A-Max at 1100 fps would still have ~1100ftlbs and 44 Taylor index at 1780 yards. So it should still be effective for hunting most game I'm correct in my thinking right ? Thanks in advance for any thoughts,opinions, or answers.

Of course it would.
MOA is MOA.
between the internal adjustment, a good reticle and a adjustable base you should be able to do a lot

Folks dialing in on the thread title are advised that:

(1) MOAB is now into Gen 3. The link in this thread (above) is to the original (Gen 1) product - which has been much improved on since. Those interested are directed to https://heritage-arms.com/images/Cold-Shot/MOAB-MRAB-INSTRUCTIONS-2016.PDF for tech on Gen 3 and to https://heritage-arms.com/index.php...arts/cold-shot-llc-mob-adjustable-scope-bases for pricing and ordering (pics on the pricing/ordering page are, however, of the Gen 2 product). Make sure you spec Gen 3. Those having a Gen 2 can get it upgraded to Gen 3 (as I did) but, because of the way the units are machined and coated, you end up with substantial areas that are raw machined aluminum. Thankfully those are areas not visible once the unit is installed. Note also, in case you are interested in the 300 MOA version, you need to drill a clearance hole in your rail for the longer elevation screw. The tech link above shows all that.

(2) Notwithstanding that the Ivey link is correct, that site currently only mentions the Mil version. There is now also an MOA version (I have one). The layout is much better! Same ring size options and pricing as the Mil version. And everything in the Ivey is high grade steel - brutally heavy and business-like. I would also venture that the new Ivey leaves you with the same scope tube height as the MOAB - depending on which rings you use with it. [Ivey includes massive rings. MOAB dose not include rings - most of the difference in your overall cost.]

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.