MOA version of the Ivey adjustable scope mount/ring set now shipping

ELR Researcher

Yesterday (8/1) I received the MOA version of the Ivey/Project One adjustable scope mount/ring set. After unpacking and looking the unit and the included docs over, I called Stephen Ivey to confirm a couple of things about this offering. [I had swapped e-mails with him a few times after the word leaked that the MOA version was in the works, and when I was subsequently placing my order.] Please note that what follows is not yet on their website.

1. The MOA version will be shipping in the same four scope tube diameters as the Mil version - 30, 34, 35, and 40mm. Same 0-175 MOA range.

2. The pricing remains the same as the 0-50 Mil version.

3. Orders placed now should ship within 2-3 weeks. [They have some stock now to cover deliveries to folks that have been pestering them for a while, like me. So, if you are interested, a prompt call may snag you part of the first batch.]

Additionally, they will also be offering an MOA knob set to allow those with the Mil version to change to MOA and back and forth as desired. Folks purchasing the MOA version will also be able to purchase the 0-50 Mil knob set.

Personal comments about what I have in hand.

1. They look exactly like the Mil version, save for the "MOA" text on the knob and the finish. The finish is "now" matte black, versus what appears to be a semi-gloss black on their site. If you are unfamiliar with the Mil version, see RTM50-40mm - Ivey Shooting

2. Releasing the unit to adjust the MOA setting is very easy - twist the angled side knob (the "locking knob") CCW, adjust the setting, and rotate the locking knob CW to lock. The locking knob is spring loaded with a positive feel up and down, closing with a very positive "click". The adjustment knob also has a very positive feel with a soft "indent" feel at the hash marks, each 2.5 MOA.

3. The flat between the front and rear rings is machined at the same time as the bottom half of the rings - so it is exactly parallel to the centerline of the rings. That allows you to very quickly level up your scope. [This is the same way the ERA-TAC incline mount/ring set works. I also have an ERA-TAC unit (0-70 MOA) and used a slim machinist's parallel to set up my ATACR.] Works perfectly.

4. The rings are designed to mount starting with the right side closed, then adjusting for eye relief and level, and finally tightening down the left side screws. This avoids the "is- the-gap-the-same-on-both-sides" drill. Note that there are (6) 8-32 TORX Plus screws for each cap, very solid. And they include the appropriate TORX Plus key (Wiha brand, German made).

5. This unit is very solid and very heavy (34-35 ounces depending on the ring size). The machining is spot on as is the anodizing. Based on my AngleCube, the integrated bubble level is pretty close (.3, point 3, degrees off).

6. The only "negative" I have at this point is that the text is substantially less visible/legible than shown on their site. The text is very precise, just quite faint. See the "shooter's view" pic at the link above - for what I was hoping for. I asked Stephen about this and he replied, "...we may try a little finer grain matte for our knobs on next batch and see if that improves the clarity of the mark."

Overall, I very much like what I purchased. Time will tell.

Any updates?

Seriously looking at an adjustable base or ring option, leaning toward this option, but the freaking price is killing me. Of course if money is an issue, then ELR is not in the cards!

I don't want to sidetrack this, but does anyone else have an feedback on the Ivy Adjustable Rings?

Thanks!

I have used a set of the original moa Ivey rings, and I was quite please with them. They functioned as advertised, and initially fit my needs when I used them. At the time I bought them, I was using a high magnification scope, with minimal elevation adjustment, and needed to get on target at 3,000 yards. I started with keeping my 100 yard zero, and put 47 moa in the Ivey rings. That got me out to 1 mile, then I used the elevation in the scope to take up the rest. It worked quite well..
My only dislike with the rings, is that they were mounted quite high above the action, which caused issues with cheek weld even with an adjustable cheek piece on the stock.
I've since sold the rings, and switched to a lower magnification scope with more elevation adjustment. I find myself shooting on 16x-20x power at 1 mile more often than not.
Just my .02....

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.