Slow .260 rem

Dirty45

I recently picked up a .260 rem in a Rem 700 VTR 20" barrel and am struggling to get any speed out of it at all. Both shooting 123 Amax's. The gun didn't really like the 143 ELD-X. Only two I've tried.

Here's what I've got/tried so far:

H4831 - 2495fps
H4350 - 2550fps

The H4831 shot around 3/4 to 1 moa. The H4350 shoots 1/2-3/4 moa.

Has anyone else experienced this low of speed out of this particular gun or similar barrel length? I picked up the gun for a good deal (new) and always planned on swapping out the barrel, but was going to shoot it a while first. This is making me really want to do it now...it does shoot pretty well for a factory tube though.

Thanks for any input/experience.

Try pulling the trigger harder, that will add a bunch of velocity. Ok, not really.

Somebody posted a comparison between 20" and 22" barrels with a .260 shooting the 120 grain Barnes. Average velocity loss was around 65 fps per inch with RL-19. That powder is very similar to the ones you've tried, and its among the slower burning powders for such a bullet. Frequently when looking at loading data these slower powders will show the highest velocity but when you use a shorter barrel it changes things. Try using a faster powder, such as Varget, H414, 4895, etc., which will give a more complete burn in your barrel. The published max velocity will be lower but you'll lose fewer fps due to the short barrel.

D I am not surprised at the velocity you are getting from a 20"bbl and 140gr. I have owned and shot 5 260's none have been 20" but the 22's I have shot were slower than 24's. Some are fast and some are slow and that's that.

What powder charge and brass are you using and is the velocity you posted with 143 or 123gr?

I would try to find some RL 26 all the data I have seen shows it to be the fastest powder in the 260 rem Its a lot slower than 4895. H414/WIN 760 have been good in all H100 is good but temp sensitive IME. I have always been so satisfied with H4831SC that its been hard to set aside as my top choice. Been shooting 120's with 48.5gr and 140's with 44.5 accuracy has been stellar and 100+ in velocity with 140's above your post.

You should expect 100 fps loss in velocity from most guides which test 24"bbl.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

This may sound off for a rather small cartridge with medium speed powder, but try a magnum primer... re-work your load from a mild charge of course. I had to do the mag. primer thing on my savage stryker in 243 to get speed with a 100 grain bullet. I was able to get 2800 fps from it with a mag primer, but only 2650 fps from it with a standard primer...

We can't really be much help without knowing how much powder you were using...you may jist be using a light charge, what were your loads with said velocity?

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.