260 rem

newguy

I am looking to use lapua brass by either sizing up or down to make 260 rem brass. Does anyone have any experience doing this? What is the best doner to use? What is the process (ie tools needed, etc)

All I do to use Lapua 243 brass in my 260 Rem is resize it with a 260 die. I have been doing this for some time without problems. I also use Rem brass and have found that it also works quite well.

Definately, neck up from 243. You can neck down from 308, but necking up always seems to be a bit less troublesome. I'd recommend either a tapered expander ball (Redding makes them, as I suspect most others do as well) or a tapered mandrel like the ones that Sinclair offers. Personally, I like the mandrels, but that will involve a separate expander die ($24.95, their catalog) if you go that route. A quick brush lube in the case necks with a little Imperial, and you're in business.

If you do go the 308 necked down route, just watch your case neck thickness and ensure that you have proper clearance when the round is loaded. This can sometimes require inside reaming or outside neck turning if there's an interference question.

Hope that helps,

Kevin Thomas
Lapua USA

For .260 brass, I use necked-up Lapua .243 brass, made by runing the cases through a tapered expander on my Redding neck sizer die. I use The Lapua brass for my H. P. Silhouette ram loads and have had no need to turn the necks or trim the brass. Some people caution about forming a "donut" at the base of the neck when necking up lapua brass, but I've never encountered no steeking donuts.

I'm developing a .260 long range hunting load an I'm planning to do a minimal skim cut on the outside of the necks to assure uniformity, but doubt it will be of much help with Lapua brass. Certainly worth doing with other brands, especially Remington. Winchester brass is a little more uniform than Remington, and a little less than Lapua.

Sorry for not responding sooner I have been away from my computer. Thanks for all of your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.