Slinging up with a bad left wrist?

Buck Fever

My last two range trips were disappointing until my last two groups last time. I was breaking in a 6.5 Creedmoor I've had for a while but never took to the range. First trip, my groups were bigger than I was hoping for. Sometimes I have a bad day but I kept getting 1"+ groups at 100 yards, even with my good ammo. My not so good ammo was printing groups around 2".

That all changed when I tried a new grip with my left hand on the forend instead of the butt hook and suddenly my not so good ammo was sub-MOA.

I have to see if those results stand up and see how much my good ammo will tighten up those results.

Concurrently I have another rifle to break in, this one a LR308 pattern gun also in 6.5 Creedmoor. This one I would like to use a sling with. I have a Vickers sling and am only waiting on a Magpul Paraclip adapter before I can get it on and adjusted.

Now, about my wrist, it has been giving me pain when I break my wrist. Holding my rifle in a standing position, I'm holding my handguard with fingertips because if I break my wrist enough to get my palm on the tube, it hurts.

I have a UTG AFG that I have mounted at 7:30 which gives me a little bit to fill my left palm without breaking my wrist much.

I looked for AFG and sling ergonomics videos but found pretty much zero.

I would like to have my sling support my wrist and press my palm in to my AFG so I've got a more solid connection but I'm not actively flexing my wrist in an uncomfortable/painful position.

If my wrist wasn't messed up, I would just be looking for sling technique but I have looked for that before and haven't seen much about using a typical 2 point sling for accurate long range shooting. It's mostly carbine course stuff or people showing how to attach a sling.

I'm not sure if my grip had as big of an effect as it seems, I have shot very small groups with my previous grip but I would like to figure out how to build that grip with a sling so I can be consistent with it.

try a "hard hold" --grip the forearm out as far as you can get and pull hard into your shoulder keeping your left hand/arm to the left side (not underneath)

youll often see guys running extended hand-guards to get that left hand out there further-- you can effectively keep it in your shoulder pocket without much "float" if you grip it out far ---"operator style"

no sling info for you but here is Jerry's recommendation

I want to use my sling to do the pull.

I know if I use my muscles to keep my wrist in a comfortable position and use my fingers to grip and position the handguard, my forearm, wrist and fingers are going to fatigue rapidly.

I need to have my sling pull the handguard in to my hand in a comfortable position and position the rifle using mostly my torso and bicep.

I tried to find a comfortable position without a sling. I had to pull back my hand quite a bit to get my wrist angle comfortable so I'll never get that straight left arm grip. It just isn't going to work for me.

I'm dealing with my own issues (bad wrist) but it highlights the nonexistent ergonomics for the off hand on a rifle. Lots of people talk about natural point of aim but it's silly that you can't get there with your off hand (and wrist) in a neutral position.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.