Sleeping Pads

mfloski

What are you guys using? I am looking for lightweight, but comfort and noise are equally as important. I am on REI website and every time I see one that gets really high marks for comfort and weight, others complain that they are terribly noise, like sleeping on a bag of potato chips! Suggestions?

Thermarest XLite and Xtherm are both noisy. I own both and hate them for that reason. A cheaper alternative is the sea to summit ultralight. Its only 12 oz and the noise is minimal compared to the thermarests. I find it to be more comfortable as well

What are you guys using? I am looking for lightweight, but comfort and noise are equally as important. I am on REI website and every time I see one that gets really high marks for comfort and weight, others complain that they are terribly noise, like sleeping on a bag of potato chips! Suggestions?

Exped Synmat is heavier and not as thermally efficient as an Xtherm, but it is comfortable and quiet.

Here's a sleeping pad review you may find useful:

Sleeping Pads | Mediocre Mountaineering

I'm using an inflatable from Big Agnes with hollow fiber insulation. It is not self inflating but deflates and rolls up fast. It packs very compact and is light. The pad is surprisingly durable and has lasted many nights in areas with cactus spines. I am almost 50, and rate the comfort at about a 6 out of 10. I use a heavier thermarest for cold.

This is Big Agnes's newest and best pad which I used this year- Q-Core SLX.

It is not overly noisy and is well insulated especially considering how light it is.

It's designed with slightly thicker areas on the side which keep you from rolling off which is very handy.

It also has an incredible new type of inflation valve that's much large than normal and has a perfect back-flow preventer while having virtually no air resistance. In other words it blows up much easier than other pads which is nice at the end of a long day.

I have 2 Big Agnes Insulated air core ultra. The older Blue one with the valve that twists, and the newer orange colored one. They seem to be the same pad with different valving. Both are nice pads I prefer the new valve system on the orange pad vs the valve on the blue colored pad. They seem to feel the same when sleeping. I also have the one that camofire.com sells I believe it is the Klymit but I've not slept on it yet, I blew it up last night and as it states it only take 10-15 breaths to blow up. I laid on it for a few minutes and my only concern is if you are a side sleeper you might have problems with your hip pushing through the pad onto the ground.

I use a Thermarest Trail Pro regular. It's the standard Thermarest inflatable foam mattress with an R 4 insulation rating. At 2 lbs. in its stuff sack it ain't light but it's warm.

If I need more warmth I cut short evergreen bough tips and put a bed of boughs under my tent floor (as well as some larger boughs on the ground at the tent door to keep dirt out of the floor).
I've often placed my pants and sweater beneath my mattress for a bit more insulation.

Also I zip up my GTX parka, cinch down the hood and put it over the foot of my sleeping bag for a bit more warmth and to keep melting tent wall frost off the foot of my bag.

Eric B.

I just use a good ol' closed cell foam pad. Not inflatable. If I'm backpacking it's one pad. If I have the luxury of driving to my campsite, I'll bring two pads.

At 60, I still enjoy just sleeping in my little backpacking tent. Some things I hope I never give up.

Regards, Guy

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.