Slam fires?

HNDLDR

I've used factory 223 and 7mm-08 in my ar-15 and ar-10. I've also shot some hand loads in both rifles that had regular primers in them. Am I looking for trouble doing this?

I guess this one's already been beaten to death, or no one wants to touch it. I did manage to find in an old post that CCI 42's and 44's are recommended as well as Remington 7 1/2's. I've been using WLR's, which no one has mentioned that I could find. I also still wonder about the 7mm-08. Are this rifles built on the AR frame intended to be for hand loaders only? Or shoot Remington ammo only?

If you haven't had any issues, I don't suspect you to have any issues.

I use Fed Gold Med Match primers, in my AR15 and even after chambering a round, you can see the faint firing pin marks. But never had one go off on me. Made me nervous for a while, but I got over it.

Use the same primers in my AR10 300SAUM, but that's an Armalite and it's got the spring on the firing pin to prevent slam fires. Just another reason why I prefer that platform.

I think you're getting a little too worked up about an issue you haven't had yet.
If you have problems, you can seat your primers a little deeper or get some harder ones.

I haven't had any problems in either of my AR's. The 7mm is new and it's only had 20 factory and 30ish hand loads through it. I don't have the 5.56 one anymore but it digested at least 1000 hand loads with standard primers. I Agree I think I'm ok. I just started thinking maybe I was having a false sense of security. Thank you for your response.

If you haven't had any issues, I don't suspect you to have any issues.

I use Fed Gold Med Match primers, in my AR15 and even after chambering a round, you can see the faint firing pin marks. But never had one go off on me. Made me nervous for a while, but I got over it.

Use the same primers in my AR10 300SAUM, but that's an Armalite and it's got the spring on the firing pin to prevent slam fires. Just another reason why I prefer that platform.

I think you're getting a little too worked up about an issue you haven't had yet.
If you have problems, you can seat your primers a little deeper or get some harder ones.

I completely agree with C_Bass. Fed 205M's in the AR-15 & Fed 210M's in my DPMS LR. Never a slam fire. Between a buddy of mine & myself, we've fired well north of 1000rnds of handloaded .223 with another 1000+ ready to go, no issues.

With that being said, I have actually had what I believe to be a slamfire in factory Federal ammo in my DPMS, so could it happen? Sure... :cool: Pay attention to your primer seating depth & maintain muzzle control.

t

The only rifle I have ever had slam fire was my M1 Garand. It did it three different times with a triple fire once and doubled twice. I was using Fed 210M primers. Was approached by a long time M1 match shooter immediately when he heard my rifle triple fire that day. Without even knowing that I was using Federal primers he told me that you should not use Federal primers in M1s. I quit using Federal and never had it happen again. I have used Rem. WW, CCI, CCIBR and Wolf small rifle Mag primers in my AR 223 and all these brands with the Wolf LR in my M1 Garand without any problems.

Hi,

I've done a good bit of load development for the 6.8 SPC's I use for hunting and the 7mm/08 AR10 I also use. I use exclusively magnum primers, normally the CCI 450, CCI 41 or the Wolf 223 for the 6.8, and CCI 34's for the 7mm/08. I'm really not terribly worried about slam fires, never had one or seen one, but the thicker cup used in the magnum primers helps if you are working up loads to higher pressures, where with non magnum primers I have seen primers pierced at the firing pin impact point. This can cause premature erosion of the boltface which is not a good thing.....

Regards,
Trapper458

I read somewhere on the WOA website under FAQ's I think that winchester small rifle primers didn't work well in the AR platform but because of pierced primers I think not slam fires might be worth a look.

Yes CCI 42 are a small mag rifle primer so be careful when loading in 5.56

Win Small rifle primers are used in the great Mk262 5.56 sniper ammo by black hills.

I use both excellent in the AR

An old Marine armorer told me to use the CCI 41 primers so thats what i bought to load mine with. The harder face and anvil shape or distance being different prevents the slam fires. Why take the risk....

Had one slam fire. Brought some cheap factory ammo. It was a primer issue. If the primer is not seated less than flush it has a good chance of this. After I inspected 60 rounds I found 15 with primer not seated right. I have had 0 problems from my own hand loads. If you buy cheap ammo take the time and check ALL of them.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.