Firing pins for AR with large skirt

Laelkhunter

I ordered some spare firing pins for my Bushmaster Patrolmans Carbine from Brownells. They are Colt brand, listed for AR15A4 p/n 160-304-002. When I received them, they have a large skirt on them, and the one in my rifle has a small skirt. Did they send me the wrong ones, or can I use them in my rifle? They would cost more to send back than they are worth.

i see you posted on arfcom also, so I'll be the bearer of bad news

did you read the "colt ar-15 proprietary information" on brownells web site? you ordered the "large flange pin" you got the large flange pin---if you want the small flange you need a different part number
:
Colt AR-15 firing pin types

There are three firing pin configurations utilized on the Colt AR-15. The configuration used by a particular AR-15 will be determined by the vintage of the firearm or the caliber.

SP62805, Brownells #160-304-003 is the designated number for the 9mm blow back breechblock.

SP62294 Large Flange (NATO stock # 1005-00-0017-9547), Brownells #160-304-002 . This firing pin has a nominal flange diameter of .375" and is typically used with a shrouded bolt carrier. This firing pin is typically found on M16 selective fire variants.

The very early SP-1 series commercial sporter AR-15 manufactured until the 1966/1968 period utilized, according to Colt sources, a large diameter flange that is unique to itself (larger flange then 62294) . We do not have a source for this firing pin configuration at this time. The period 1966 through 1968 was a transitional period during which Colt did a running production change to incorporate the small flange firing pin and altered bolt carrier into the commercial AR-15 variations.

Please Note: The circa 1995 Colt Parts Book shows the SP62294 large flange firing pin as being used in all but two applications. This is in error. With exception of the early SP-1 sporter and the M16 variants as noted above, typical post 1966/68 sporters will utilize the SP63039 Small Flange firing pin.

SP63039 Small Flange, Brownell #160-000-205 . Flange diameter is nominal .343". This firing pin is used in conjunction with a unique bolt carrier and hammer. The bolt carrier features a shallow ramp cut at the rear of the hammer path and no shroud at the rear of the hole for the firing pin. The hammer has a notch on the upper front striking face. The design concept behind these parts was to create a system that would prevent the firearm from going full auto should the disconnector fail or be inadvertently forgotten during reassembly of a firearm. In such an instance the hammer will follow the ramp cut down the rear of the carrier. At this point, as the bolt carrier moves forward to strip a fresh cartridge from the magazine, the notch on the face of hammer will engage the flange of the firing pin and stop the forward movement of the bolt carrier.

not trying to be an *** but maybe you should read brownells web page as the good news is brownells takes returns on almost anything--and return shipping is free here is their return policy:
Returns Policy and Process
Brownells' goal is to make purchasing and returning products as simple as possible. If you buy a product from Brownells and decide you don't need it, don't want it, or just don't like it, we'll take it back any time with a few exceptions.

We require proof of purchase to honor all refunds. Please include your proof of purchase with the products you wish to return in their original packaging if possible. We will refund the original purchase price to either your original method of payment or as a merchandise credit. If the original method of payment is a credit card and it has expired, a Brownells gift card with be issued.

Any returns received that do not qualify for refund will be returned to the customer at their expense. This includes items that are non-returnable, misused, lacking proof of purchase, or not purchased from Brownells. Brownells inspects all returned products and reserve the right to decline returns or exchanges. Other restrictions may apply.

How to Return an Item
Our return process is simple, fast, and completely free to our customers! Please use one of the following options to get started and to ensure the quickest turnaround. Returns received by methods outside of this process, may experience additional processing delays.

Start a return online
Have your order number and email address ready

Start a return in order history
Go to your account, click on order history then click on return items button.

Pack your return securely, in the original package if possible, and include a copy of your original invoice Affix your shipping label to the package, making sure no other tracking labels are showing If using a Brownells provided return label, when your package is ready give it to your mail carrier or drop it off at your nearest post office, or schedule a free at-home pick-up.

Returns at a Glance/ FAQ
What products are eligible NOT to be returned?
Due to regulations and safety consideration, ammunition, gun powder, primers, most liquids, and other ORM-D and Hazardous items are not returnable. Firearm and FFL purchases carry a Manufacturer's warranty and any product issues should be submitted to the manufacturer first. 80% frames and receivers cannot returned once the receiver or frame is modified in any way. All other products Guaranteed. Forever.® with proof of purchase. No authorization number, justification or hassles.

How long do I have to return an item?
Anytime

When can I expect my refund?
Refunds generally take 7-10 business days to process once received into our return area.

How can I receive a refund for my order?
Your refund will be credited in the same manner used for payment of the original order, unless noted otherwise.

What if I paid with a Brownells gift card?
Your refund will be sent to you in the form of a new Brownells Gift Card.

I received the item as a gift. How can I receive a refund?
Refunds require proof of purchase: we would need the account information of the person who purchased the item in order to process a refund.

Can items I purchased online be returned to the Retail Store?
Yes, items purchased online can be returned to the Retail Store, please bring the invoice when returning any item.

Return of Firearm Purchases
All firearms purchased carry the manufacturer's warranty. Any product or service issue should be submitted to the manufacturer first.

In the rare instance there is a problem with your firearm purchase, you have up to 60 days from the date of the order to contact us. Returns on firearms will only be considered in accordance with the terms listed below.

1. You are the original purchaser.
  2. You have your original receipt with the printed date and description of the item.
  3. We will not accept any firearms for return that have been modified.
  4. The buyer is responsible for the safe transport of any items back to Brownells.
  5. Based on the condition of the firearm when returned, Brownells may decide to offer a partial refund only.

I think they answered this for you already on another forum but if you have a carrier with a shrouded firing pin either pin works. If you have an unshrouded pin carrier like a sp1 Colt type carrier is then you need the smaller diameter collar type pin.
Not that the weight between the two types is supposed to matter but I use the smaller collar pin on both type carriers. I use it because it has less weight.

The Colt ones from Brownells used to be the smaller collar pins but I guess at some point Colt quit supplying them that type because the last one I ordered was the larger collar also.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.