Sizing once fired .338 LM brass to 30-338 - Is it ok?

Tiff

I've got a .338 lapua at the moment and the barrel is very nearly shot out...

If I get a new barrel in 30-338 will I be able to resize the once or twice fired 338 lapua brass ok? Or does it need to be new brass only that you size down?

The reason I ask, is that I've got 500 pieces of once fired brass from a couple of years ago and 400 twice fired. With lapua .338 brass here in the UK at $500 per 100!!!!!! I'd rather not have to buy any new brass at the cost of another barrel per 100 pieces.

The reason I want to change, is that my local range has now banned anything over 30 cal and the next range is 6 hours drive away, which is a bit much with he price of gas here at $10 a gallon!

All thoughts greatly appreciated.

Tiff

I believe you'll be fine sizing down once fired brass. If they were fired multiple times I would at least anneal them before squeezing them down.

Don't forget to trim, more than likely they will be long.

Thanks for your reply. Has anyone else got experience of doing the same/any other tips to make it easier would be great. Cheers Tiff

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.