Sizing brass for 338 Win Mag

rad30277

Okay, folks. Got a question that starts with a statement that I'm sure is common knowledge for most handloaders here. I've recently bought a Remington 700 in 338 Win Mag as a designated elk rifle, (common knowledge statement begins here) for which brass is in short supply, if available at all. However, I did find some belted Peterson brass tubes for magnum cartridges for sale. I've not yet bought them as I'm unsure as to how much trouble it would be to neck them to 338 cal.

My question is two parts; one is what's required outside of normal 338 Win Mag dies and what's involved in the process. In 30-plus years of loading my own ammo, I've never had to neck up or neck down my ammo. My reloading has always been for stock chambered, semi-custom hunting rifles so I've never done anything that's required this type of ammo reloading. I've read that it's better/easier as a multi-step process in necking the brass down, both for the brass and me. Secondly, I've also read that the necks need to be turned down after case trimming vs. using bushing dies. Any info you guys may have to get me started in the right direction with this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time and consideration.

Check out this:

The key is doing it in steps. Even though the thread above refers to 7 STW, there's some good info that'll help in there.

Due to the Peterson brass being so long, I don't think you will be able to successfully form 338WM without substantial extra cost in purchasing forming dies and neck turning gear. I know many use a reamer to cut necks, but I never had great results forming 340 Weatherby brass from 375H&H using a reamer, it was always off centre.
You will have to remove a fair amount of material from the neck for it to work.

Cheers.

..you shouldn't have any problems finding .336wm brass these days..
I failed to mention that I was looking for new, unprimed, unfired brass. I should've prefaced my thread with that. However, If you know where I can find new, unprimed 338 Win Mag brass, I'd appreciate you sharing what you know. I can't find it anywhere and I've checked Midway, Midsouth, Graf and Sons, Qual Cart, Norma, Weatherby, Ammoland, Nosler, Gunbroker and any number of at least a dozen other suppliers on the internet. I've found once-fired, but I'm not interested in once fired for load development.

Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. I was able to find 80 pieces of new Norma 338 Win last night (for a premium price, of course). I hated to pay it, but I did. I figured up what it was going to cost me in new dies/equipment, time, my sanity, etc. and buying that Norma brass at a premium was still cheaper. Thanks again and y'all take care.