Sinclair or Neco concentricity Guage

Matt74

I am wanting to get a centricity gauge. After a lot of reading the two i'm looking at are the Sinclair and the Neco. The Neco is about $70 more. My understanding is the Neco will also read the case wall thickness and the Sinclair will not. I can't decide if that if its worth the extra $. I'm not a competition shooter but just an anal hunter. If I get the Sinclair is there another tool that I can add later that will measure the case wall thickness?

I am wanting to get a centricity gauge. After a lot of reading the two i'm looking at are the Sinclair and the Neco. The Neco is about $70 more. My understanding is the Neco will also read the case wall thickness and the Sinclair will not. I can't decide if that if its worth the extra $. I'm not a competition shooter but just an anal hunter. If I get the Sinclair is there another tool that I can add later that will measure the case wall thickness?

Neco without a second thought! But I'd buy it without the GEM indicator. Buy a good .0005" indicator. The wand type indicators are much more accurate than the gear and rack types we normally see. Nothing wrong with a GEM, but it's a .001" indicator. You can go with a .0001", but once you learn the .0005" indicator you can easily work within .00025".
gary

I have a NECO and would recommend it. I too am an anal hunter and have indexed my brass that was out of spec and sorted the rest withing .001" runout and my groups have shrunk at long range. Up close you can't tell the difference.

reuben

I have a NECO and would recommend it. I too am an anal hunter and have indexed my brass that was out of spec and sorted the rest withing .001" runout and my groups have shrunk at long range. Up close you can't tell the difference.

reuben

I've probably had six or seven gauges in my lifetime, and built another six or seven. I once built one that used the wheels for the case to ride on and just couldn't get all the slop out of it. I used ABEC 9 Barden bearings that are angular contact, and you don't get any better than these. Just never made me happy. Always ended up with a couple tenths runout. Later I made one that used very little contact with the case, and this is still the most accurate one I've seen for O.D. measurements. I did build a second one that would also do I.D.'s, and you could use three indicators at the sametime. I did find an issue with the design, and also found it in everybody's design. Have a new design, but have never built it for a couple good reasons.

I don't check loaded cases as closely as I check sized cases verses fired cases. My goal is always zero runout, and maybe someday I'll get there.
gary

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.