Simple Question Leupold Firedot Scopes

muggles

Looking into buying a Leupold VX5HD 3-15x44 scope and considering the Illuminated Firedot Reticle. When power is turned off on the scope does the "Firedot" go away leaving black crosshairs? What battery does it use and what battery life can I expect? Tried to find an owner's manual on line with no luck. Appreciate being able to ask such a knowledgeable group and thank each for your valued insight.

Yes, when off it is just a black cross hair. It uses a 2032 battery that looks like a quarter and lasts ~forever. I think the firedot is a bit large for shooting past ~600 yards but great if you are shooting in dark woods or larger targets.

It's a 2032 button battery. The cross hairs are just regular crosshairs if the battery dies... No big deal. I have 3 leupolds w the firedots a 2-7 vxr 1-4 vx hog and mark ar 1-4 with the green dot. the firedots turns off after a few minutes without sensing motion and turns back on again when the rifle moves. I have my 2-7 2.5 years and haven't changed out the battery

Agree with above but the VX5 wires in the center are much finer and the actual center area of the crosshairs is much larger than the 2-7,3-9,1-4 variants. The duplex is a wider area than the others. Hope that is understandable... Great scope.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.