Leupold Firedot Duplex reticles

jpfrog

I have been back and forth on reticle selection for my next scope- due to the features and weight, it'll be either a VX-5HD or a VX-6HD. Torn between the Firedot TMOA and Firedot Duplex reticles if I go with the 6HD, since the Firedot Duplex appear to be more readily available and about $350-$400 cheaper. If I choose to go Firedot Duplex, that brings the VX-5HD into the comparison as well, and it's even more affordable than the 6HD. Now, about that Firedot Duplex reticle...

The pictures on the Leupold site suggest that the Firedot Duplex reticle has very FAT posts with a small fine crosshair, but the FAT posts appear to dominate much of the site picture. This had me worried, so I went to a local store today to see them in person.

Looking at the VX-6HD 3-18x44 and the VX-5HD 3-15x44, I was very pleasantly surprised to see that the Firedot Duplex reticle in both models had small/medium thickness posts and a fine crosshair. Not intrusive at all. For the sake of thoroughness, I also looked through the 2-12x42, also with a Firedot Duplex. This one looked like the picture on the site and on the box- FAT posts with a small section of fine crosshair. The posts were very thick and I could see it being a problem where they might be covering up much of the field of view.

So my question is this- all models I looked at today are labeled as Firedot Duplex, but why did the reticle on the 2-12x42 look so FAT compared to the reticles in the 3-15x44 and 3-18x44? Were they mislabeled? I want to ensure I order the correct reticle when I finally buy one. The Leupold site only has one version of a duplex (that can be had with/without Firedot).

I too am interested in this and I in the same delima. I have also looked at the #4 bt it's a fine #4. I'm not sure how that fine reticle in German #4 will work for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.