Simple Question (I hope) 11" twist in 30-06, 22" barrel -- best for light or heavy bullets?

Jon Bischof

Tikka and Sauer both have 1:11" Twist for 30-06. Does this favor lighter (150-165) or heavier (180-220) bullets?

Just don't want to end up with a 30-06 that only shoots light bullets well. I guess I would be happy if it shot 165-180 in tight little groups. But the glory of the 30-06 is versatility for hunting medium to large game with lighter to heavier bullets. If it doesn't do that without losing a lot of accuracy, that really takes the shine off of the cartridge for me. Could be I'm concerned about nothing, but I would like to hear from you folks that can tell what I might expect realistically from an 11" Twist.

Bullet lengths play a bigger role in what a twist will handle more than the weight in most cases. For a 1-11 twist 30-06, it will handle everything from 150gr up to most 190gr bullets. At higher altitudes and certain bullets, you may be able to shoot 200+ grain bullets. But to stay safe, I wouldn't plan on anything heavier than a 190gr cup and core bullet.

Bullet lengths play a bigger role in what a twist will handle more than the weight in most cases. For a 1-11 twist 30-06, it will handle everything from 150gr up to most 190gr bullets. At higher altitudes and certain bullets, you may be able to shoot 200+ grain bullets. But to stay safe, I wouldn't plan on anything heavier than a 190gr cup and core bullet.

Thanks, Jud96 I assume that the lead-free bullets tend to be longer and thus wouldn't stabilize as well as shorter bullets do, once you get above 190 grains--is that generally true?

Thanks, Jud96 I assume that the lead-free bullets tend to be longer and thus wouldn't stabilize as well as shorter bullets do, once you get above 190 grains--is that generally true?
Yes you're right. Lead free bullets are longer compared to the equal weight cup and core bullet. A 1-11 twist will work with a lead core 190gr but will probably only stabilize a 168gr or maybe 175gr solid copper bullet. I have minimal experience with lead free bullets, but I do know they are longer than traditional bullets and will require a faster twist rate for their weight compared to lead core bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts