Silver Fox (Black or Melanistic Red Fox)...Ever seen one?

View attachment 487959

No, this is NOT my picture...I got this off of the internet

I questioned my sanity for a while after I saw it....

But this is definately what I saw...broad daylight...no alcohol involved... :)
yes we have a lot of crossfox silvers ect some on the Ilands come from old fox farms that closed we have them in the yard all the time summer winter ect

We get a lot of color phase fox here.

Attachments

• IMG_4472.jpeg
    IMG_4472.jpeg
    147.1 KB · Views: 60
That looks like an escaped farmed fox. Wild silvers tend to have much smaller white tipped tails and courser coloration.
It was in a neighborhood early morning on my run. The brown one, came to the back yard of the house I was staying, about 5 blocks away from where I saw the black one. Never saw them before, I had to google to find out what they were.

So you were bow hunting and saw a fox and coyote then decided to call your wife? Instead of hunting buddies??? Oh man Admin we can't have this here!!!! Lol just kidding. I've seen a couple over the years here but a fella used to raise artic fox when I was growing up down the road. Figured just a strain of dna that prolly got loose.
LOL! Sorry my wife is my best buddy. I was afraid any of my hunting buddies would laugh at me!

This one had a lot off darkness ,legs, head,tail.When on the paw was pretty dark, the taxidermist said he was a cross foxView attachment 487964
I took a cross fox a few years ago. I heard some pretty wild stories of what a "cross fox" was. It turns out it's a melanistic variant of a red fox. The extra black over the shoulders and down the back form a "Cross". Exceptionally beautiful as is yours, sp6X6! No, they aren't a silver x red, red x gray, coyote x red (Really! I heard this!), but they are really beautiful. The Gov't Trapper said that 25% of the fox he trapped on the ranch I hunted were color-phase.