sig sauer kilo 2000 rangefinder

I'd buy the kilo.
Better warranty. And I love how fast it is. Accurate too. (Tested with survey equipment) The horizontal amr at any range on the fly helps alot and is great for archery to long shots.
I really like my sig

Picked one up last weekend after reading all the reviews. I live in the colorado mountains and went camping with it. It was a rainy weekend and I had a buddy with a Bushnell 1000 ARC. Each day we put it to the test, side by side if I could range it...so could he. Black cow @ 625 no problem with either device. The farthest range I was able to get was 958 on a flat solid rock about 80 feet by 20 feet....his Bushnell also ranged that rock @ 940, if I went to the side of that rock that was not perfect it would not range anything....of course the Bushnell didn't either. The sun came out for a while and it really didn't change the ranging of either device.

In short, I was disappointed, the sig has been returned to amazon for not living up to its hype. (a 200 dollar Bushnell did just as well) A vortex ranger 1500 is in the mail as we speak. I expect it to perform equally and with a much better warranty.

I just picked one up wanting the distance and to get a quick angle adjusted range. BUT, this is exactly what happened with mine. I struggled to get a repeated reading at a hill side at around 920yds. I have had a Leica 1600 for years and is consistent. I just wanted to the angle compensated angle as a reading for dialing ranges. Anything over 1000yds with the Sig it struggled, even with large flat bolders at 1500yds. I was very unimpressed and pretty disappointed really. It was clear skies, no wind, and sun to my back.

Great reviews.
For those who have the 1600b and the Kilo2000, if you could get either for the same price which would you buy?

While I am a dedicated G7 BR2 user, I would go with the 1600B in the above scenario. I have used it and is well proven in the field. I have been tracking this and other threads on the SIG for about a year. Still waiting to hear about "long range" animals that have actually been shot using the unit in actual hunting conditions. Maybe I have been missing something but there are lots of jug, plate, clarity, cattle tests, etc, and a few rabbits shot at less then 100 yards, but I haven't heard much about actual hunting success in the field yet.

While I am a dedicated G7 BR2 user, I would go with the 1600B in the above scenario. I have used it and is well proven in the field. I have been tracking this and other threads on the SIG for about a year. Still waiting to hear about "long range" animals that have actually been shot using the unit in actual hunting conditions. Maybe I have been missing something but there are lots of jug, plate, clarity, cattle tests, etc, and a few rabbits shot at less then 100 yards, but I haven't heard much about actual hunting success in the field yet.

Yup, you have missed a couple. Deer at 925 yards, range with my sig in the conditions you see.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=BrTNWPOs83o

And, an antelope at 876 yards, as you can see it was flat open grass on a very bright sunny high mirage day. My reading was on the antelope itself.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=afN8ZrFeTls

I have also ranged and killed other animals with this, a doe antelope at 470 yards and another at 440, but I don't really consider that as long range for this rangefinder. If you are having trouble ranging rocks at 1000, your unit is defective, possibly needs another battery, or something else is going on, the day I received mine I was ranging small willow bushes out to and beyond 1300 yards, and bare dirt hills at 1500. You can review my video, it's in this thread somewhere to compare with how yours is performing to see if you are having an issue.

I'm a G7 BR2 guy as well. I started with a Gen 1 a few years ago and never had an issue. A couple weeks ago my brother in law decided he wanted a BR2 so I sold him my Gen 1 and ordered a Gen 2. The Gen 2 didn't arrive in time for last weekend's chase for wolves and Caribou. So, I went to Sportsman's and picked up a fresh Kilo 2000 due to the reviews I've seen.

I was very unimpressed with the Kilo 2000. The first annoyance was that it failed to range a black wolf laying atop a nearby hill at around 450 yards. It then failed to obtain a reading on the same wolf and all surrounding rocks on a wide open snow covered hillside at something ~ 700 yards. Both of these are instances that I feel 100% confident the BR2 would have returned a range for a clean kill. The temp was ~15F. I'm thinking cold weather was a cause for the failure. It worked fine after sitting in the warm truck.

The next thing that bugged me was that the Kilo exhausted half the battery life after one day of use.

I have no confidence in the Kilo 2000 and I have no room in my gear bag for items that aren't reliable. I returned it as soon as I got back to town.

Thanks guys I purchased the 1600b, I hope the kilo's work out ill keep tabs on this thread. Id like to mess around with the next kilo coming out.
I really wanted to buy a G7 to program my load data in one unit. maybe next year... sigh..
Ill use the 1600b and istrelok for the time being.
Maybe the next couple years the Sig units will drive huge improvements in rangefinders.
thank again gents

I'm a G7 BR2 guy as well. I started with a Gen 1 a few years ago and never had an issue. A couple weeks ago my brother in law decided he wanted a BR2 so I sold him my Gen 1 and ordered a Gen 2. The Gen 2 didn't arrive in time for last weekend's chase for wolves and Caribou. So, I went to Sportsman's and picked up a fresh Kilo 2000 due to the reviews I've seen.

I was very unimpressed with the Kilo 2000. The first annoyance was that it failed to range a black wolf laying atop a nearby hill at around 450 yards. It then failed to obtain a reading on the same wolf and all surrounding rocks on a wide open snow covered hillside at something ~ 700 yards. Both of these are instances that I feel 100% confident the BR2 would have returned a range for a clean kill. The temp was ~15F. I'm thinking cold weather was a cause for the failure. It worked fine after sitting in the warm truck.

The next thing that bugged me was that the Kilo exhausted half the battery life after one day of use.

I have no confidence in the Kilo 2000 and I have no room in my gear bag for items that aren't reliable. I returned it as soon as I got back to town.

I have never had that issue with the kilo in cold weather, I used it on a coyote hunt last winter in negative temps, and the battery was fine. I changed it right after I got it, and after using it since last January, I'm still on the same battery and it registers a full battery. Maybe try changing it and see if it's performance improves...

I have never had that issue with the kilo in cold weather, I used it on a coyote hunt last winter in negative temps, and the battery was fine. I changed it right after I got it, and after using it since last January, I'm still on the same battery and it registers a full battery. Maybe try changing it and see if it's performance improves...

I bought one almost a month ago and it didn't work period. I sent it back for another Kilo 2000 that worked well until I got out in 38 degree weather..
At first I would get instantaneous ranges out to 900 yards on rocks, then the thing would stop working! I would warm it up and it would work but only to about 700 yards on reflectives.
I could never get anywhere near the ranging ability of my Zeiss on smaller targets, and it wouldn't even work consistently!!
I'm sending the *** back and buying a Leica. My advice spend $150 more and buy something that is reliable

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.