Sierra Match King's for deer in 6MM

Kent

Sierra Match King\'s for deer in 6MM

<font color="red"> </font> <font color="black"> </font>I am sure that this subject has been beat to death in the past but I did a search and could find no results.
Do Sierra 6MM Match King bullets kill deer as readily as the Game King counter parts? I am considering using the 115 Gr in a 6XC with a MV of 2950.

Re: Sierra Match King\'s for deer in 6MM

Do you mean 115 bergers because I think that the largest matchking made is 107? If you are talking about the bergers they work very well on deer. Never had any experience with the 107 6mm matckings though. But in other calibers the matchkings always worked great for me on deer.

The 115 DTAC's are made by Sierra. I have (my daughter made the shot) only witnessed one buck deer killed with it. range was 350 yards with a MV of just over 2700 fps w/a 6-284 XP-100. Had good performance-one shot kill.

Others have reported good results. I think it mostly depends on how your gun shoots. I shot a fat 3 pt buck at 35 yards using my 270 WSM and 135gr MK. On dissection, the heart, liver was fully intact. The lungs (other than a silver dollar sized node) were liquefied.

BTW, there was a pretty good article on the 6mm by a hunters safety instructor. He said many of the female students used 6mm (or 243). One even killed elk with it. My brother used to shoot elk with his ..243 (until I loaned him my 338 WinMag).

The Game King is a better killing bullet at close range (and arguably every range).

Ernie - Kudo's to you for taking your daughter hunting!

I use the 100 grain Sierra spitzer BT in my 243 with very good results,44.2 grains of IMR-4831 have taken numerous deer with this bullet and load, the other day I was hunting Deer on crop damage permits shot a Doe 300 + yards she dropped in her tracks

The 107 gr SMK will certainly work well on deer if used in their proper performance range but I never recommend using any SMK on big game unless it is 7mm or larger in caliber.

Not that they will not work but in my line of work, if something happens to not work or "Appear" to not work to the hunter, it will come back to bite me. FOr that reason I say if you want to use a SMK, use a 7mm or larger for big game.

Just an opinion,

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.