168gr Sierra Match Kings for hunting?

bigpoppa

Has anyone ever hunted with these? I would like to use these for deer hunting but Sierra along with other bullet manufacturers discourage the use of "match" bullets for hunting. I am curious as to why "match" bullets can't be used for hunting. I guess if it is all about shot placement then a SMK will work as good as a NAB.

The work fine in a .308win. I've taken all of my fallow deer using them.

A wet newspaper test i did at 200y with a cows shoulder blade infront of the box showed that they penetrate around 12", and expand to ~50cal. some of them lost thier cores but still managed to penetrate to the same depth. retained weights were between 75gr and 120gr IIRC. The major wound channel for all of them was around 2" wide but didn't begin untill 3-4" of penetration (e.g the first 4" had a pencil hole, the last 8" was bigger than a golf ball).

Results on deer between 150y and 300y, all pretty much broadside shots. showed the same performance, leaving a golfball sized exit wounds and deer that didn't go more than 10-20m.

They get my seal of approval /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif .

Edit:
They don't recomend Match bullets for hunting because some types like the Lapua Scenar act like FMJs. I've had small roos run off after being hit well by 155gr scenars.

430 yds. on hill country whitetail. 30-06. Works great. I have used the SMK from 100 to over 400. Noted that expansion is significantly less at longer ranges. Switched to 168 Hornady Amax. Seems to be just as accurate at long range and significantly more devastation. Still using SMK in other calibers I shoot.

I shoot the 168SMK in my 308 in front of 45gr. of Varget. My reason for choosing this bullet is that it matches the drop on my Shepherd, Springfield military, and Kahles BDC. I am limited in range with most of these scopes but my personal limit would be around 600 yds. Wouldn't want to walk any further than that. Actually still have a ways to go to get to 600. I am currently at 430.

I have Springfields on Browning Varmint in 308 and on Steyr M in 30-06. 49gr of varget on the 06 with the 168SMK. Never knew what the recommended fps was on the fixed 6 springfield but the 200yd bullet strike was just where it belonged. A half a dozen deer beyond 300 in either rifle and the bullet hits within 3 inches of where I aimed. Always thought it was the rifle MOA or me. Never tested the scope on a paper target at over 200. Like the Shepherd and the Kahles better than the Springfield. Longest shot with the Kahles, over 400 and within inches of aimpoint.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.