Sierra 142 SMK (.264) bullets

Varmint Hunter

I had a box of Sierra 142gr SMK bullets laying around that I used years ago in a heavy varmint 6.5x284 rifle. More recently I started to use the left-over bullets as barrel foulers or for general testing in both the Creedmoor and the PRC. Oddly enough, I shot the tightest groups at 400yds, in both rifles, with this bullet when fouling clean barrels.

With all the great new bullets available in .264 you don't hear about anyone shooting the SMK bullets any more. Is anyone using this bullet and has anyone taken game with it?

I could be wrong, but I thought Lance Kenyon has used them on game and varmints. Maybe he can chime in.

Here's what the old bullet is capable of.

6.5 Creed - 142 SMK.jpg

I have only seen one animal (Mule Deer) taken with the 142 MK.
It was shot from 680 yards but didn't seem to have any expansion at that remaining velocity.
Not the best test but that is all that I have seen
Very accurate and non tempermental bullet but may not be the best game bullet

I bought some Browning loaded ammo to shoot in a new 300 Win build. They are tipped Sierras but shoot excellent so I bought some more. Plan on using them on a upcoming elk hunt in December. Will work great until I can reload something else.

I have been shooting the Sierra 140 gr MK since back in the mid 1960's . Has always produced fine groups. Shot one very large muley with one back in the mid 1970's with a Rem 700 264 mag . Range was about 125 yds. Thru the rib cage , total penetration with a good size exit hole. Have not used them on game sense. I realize a rib cage is a soft target & not a true indicator of the capable penetration of a bullet, but it did as good a job as any similar soft nose game bullet.

I just ordered another box of the 142 SMKs. I'm very interested to see if those exceptionally small groups are repeatable. Normally, tight groups at 400yds aren't just luck, but who knows?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.