Side Arm for Grizzly Country

These bear threads have a predictable trajectory.

I have two bear sidearms, a Taurus Tracker 41Mag and a SW 329PD. Shoot both plenty with full power loads and know what to expect. The 329PD enough I'll probably have to send it in for a blast shield replacement soon.

I am a huge 10mm fan. I own more powerful pistols up to a 45-70 BFR. My choice is a balance of power and the ability to accurately and quickly deploy it.

Also seen a LOT of guys leave heavy high caliber guns in the truck after a day or two of toting them on challenging hikes....don't do a lick of good there.

These bear gun threads bring out good stuff, and just stuff.

Lived in AK for 20 years. People there often referred to handguns when going bear hunting as "get off me guns". While living on the Kenai Peninsula I kept track of the bear attacks in the area for awhile. Take aways were that when the guy had a rifle, he got off one shot before the bear was on him. Every guy who had a rifle in hand lost it when the bear hit him. Every guy with a handgun (most were .44 mags) lived, though usually with changed facial features. Every guy without a handgun didn't survive. Attacks came from very close range in fairly heavy brush. Bears varied by age but most were hungry four year olds. When out in the wilds I carried either one of my S&W Model 29s, a 4" or 5", or a Colt 1911 10mm with Double Tap 200 grain hardcast WFN at 1300 fps. The Smiths were loaded with LBT LFN 320 grainers over 22.0 of 296. My primary bear country gun was a Browning 1886 saddle ring carbine in 45-70 loaded with 400 gr Kodiak bonded core bullets over 50.0 grains of Reloder 7 for 2,000 fps. But people have to choose what they can handle and what they can afford. There were two guys fishing for red salmon at the confluence of the Russian River and the Kenai. They had waded out a ways and were unexpectedly charged by a sow brown bear out of the brush on the river's edge. One of the guys had a 12 gauge slung over his shoulder, which he dropped in the river trying to get it in action. The other guy had a 9mm and started shooting at the bears head. He killed it just before she got to them. Its not the size of the hole you put in the bear that does the job. Its where you put the hole that matters. Brain or spine. Carry what you want, but have it where you can get to it fast. The two survivors I spoke with had good presence of mind about getting their sidearm into action, even while having their face munched on. Don't worry about the slide being pushed out of battery. Carry what you want to and practice.

I carry a Ruger "backpacker" in 44 mag. It's basically an exclusive version of the Super Red Hawk. I carry it in a leather hip holster, cross draw. I shoot hundreds of toned down hand loads a year through it, and I can barely hit the broadside of a barn with it so I'm not sure how much it's going to help. I once had the hammer cocked when a giant grizzly bear was less than 20 yards away and luckily he went the other way. When I am backpack rifle hunting I take bear spray not sidearm.

Yes, I know the area where that fellow was killed. The mauling was in the Teton Wilderness , not the Tetons. I guided 15 miles north west of there for over 20 years. He really made some major mistakes by not being more ready following up a crippled elk and not having competent backup help with him. His hunter was no help and actually quit him and ran away. He had a pistol in his backpack that was not even cocked and ready to go. In that area and situation you go in loaded and ready for war. The outfit that I worked for would have had at least one or two other guides or wranglers go along for support. Everyone would have had weapons and bear spray out and ready expecting trouble. Just so you know, most outfitters require their Guides to pack bear spray for insurance liability. Most also pack fire arms too and I always grabbed for the gun first. It is a tough deal and the bear population is getting denser and more aggressive. Truth is, there needs to be a controlled Grizzly season, but that is another 20 page topic.

Last edited:
Me I would want a 350 legend in AR-15 pistol. 28 rounds of some bad up close and fast action.

I've been tempted to carry my 300blk on a single point sling attached to my backpack straps. I haven't done it yet, but I've tried it around the property and it's pretty comfortable.

30rnds of subs with a binary trigger. And the cheap non expanding subs should travel the length of almost any bear.

Mines a 7.5" barreled "pistol" w/brace though.

I've been tempted to carry my 300blk on a single point sling attached to my backpack straps. I haven't done it yet, but I've tried it around the property and it's pretty comfortable.

30rnds of subs with a binary trigger. And the cheap non expanding subs should travel the length of almost any bear.

Mines a 7.5" barreled "pistol" w/brace though.
I've had very poor performance with 300 BO on fox and bobcat, ended up getting out of the game. What subs are you thinking? I'm looking at the 220 grain projectiles showing less than 500 ft lbs of energy. Doesn't sound like a great idea.

I've had very poor performance with 300 BO on fox and bobcat, ended up getting out of the game. What subs are you thinking? I'm looking at the 220 grain projectiles showing less than 500 ft lbs of energy. Doesn't sound like a great idea.

I've got a couple boxes of the s&b subs. I can't remember if they're 220 or 240, but they're fmj and I've seen them penetrate 30+ inches of a fresh cut birch stump I was shooting at. If they'll do that and come out the other side I have no doubt they'd penetrate deep on a bear. I think the low speed and fairly sharp point combine to give good penetration kind of like an arrow with a Broadhead.

20200608_102109.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.