Side Arm for Grizzly Country

bigtuna431

LRH Team Member
When ever I am asked this question, I always tell the story written by Pat McManus in Outdoor Life. He recommended a 357 mag with the front sight removed and polished. This was for when the grizzly took it away from you and shoved in up your backside; it doesn't hurt as much. The moral of the story is pay attention to your guide and avoid shooting except as a last resort. Remember they can out run your horse. Have a good hunt
Not many folks have ever heard of ol' Pat Mac, but he has to be one of the best funniest tongue in cheek outdoor writers of all time.. "A fine and Pleasant Misery" had us rolling on the floor. IMHO anything less than a 44 will just **** a thousand pound bear off...

XSIVSPD

Not many folks have ever heard of ol' Pat Mac, but he has to be one of the best funniest tongue in cheek outdoor writers of all time.. "A fine and Pleasant Misery" had us rolling on the floor. IMHO anything less than a 44 will just **** a thousand pound bear off...
I've collected most of his books of stories over the last few years

mod 700

My .02$, after having a sow black charge me a few years back, I can tell you they cover ground with amazing speed, I doubt I would of been able to get off more than a couple of shots, little lone more than 6. I'd lean toward the 44 mag 629 that I already own. I didn't have it on me at the time, do to Ca. law not allowing a sidearm while bow hunting, and lucky for me, she turned just short of me.
Mike

dls guide

I have no clue who or where you are going on your hunt with, but I see no need to pack a pistol to hunting camp. You will have a rifle and probably bear spray , so no need for the extra weight of a handgun and ammo. The fact that Hunters already pack so much gear with them in a pack and saddle bags , the extra weight is not needed or wanted. Most of the time you can get to the rifle quicker than the pistol anyway and can hit better with it. My bear gun when I was guiding was a Marlin guide gun in 45-70 with peep sights. I did not want or need a pistol. In camp I Always had My 12 ga riot gun by my bunk. Also If your outfitter is good , he will have his camp surrounded by electric fence to keep the bears from coming in at night. The only time I would pack a pistol is if I was bow hunting by myself and then I would want a 44 mag or bigger. This is all been there done that from experience.

flyguy1

When archery hunting in Montana, I carry either a 45 colt or a 500 jrh loaded with heavy hard cast bullets at about 1000 -1050 fps. Manageable recoil and lots of penetration. The 500 jrh needs the barrel cut down to about 5 inches.
Beautiful revolvers!

memtb

Much like a handgun or pepper spray, an electric fence.....may be more “feel good” than effective. ;) Many years ago when sheep hunting north of Cody, Wy., a nearby rancher was having issues with a sow with cubs breaking into his feed bin/stall. The G&F used electric fencing, rubber bullets, and perhaps other measures....the bears returned every night. :mad: The “rioting/looting” :D ended with the bears trapped and relocated! You may sleep better (maybe too good) knowing the fence is there, but, if the bear is determined.....it will walk right through that fence! :eek: memtb

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce