Should I sell my surplus primer and powder?

Guana

I bought 11k cci 400 and 200 a year and half ago. They had a deal to spend $300 to get a free Grunt Style hoody and t-shirt, so I bought that much. That's enough primers to at least last me 4 or 5 years. Also have an extra 8lb of CFE223 that I bought at an auction a few years ago. I was thinking of selling 5k primers and the powder but don't know if I will be able to replace it at a lower price in the next few years. How long is this shortage going to last and should I just keep it?

I had about 500 old winchester primers I literally just dumped in my discard pile last year because I'm becoming a component snob on my reloads. If I could go back I'd smack myself. I'd say just keep what you got. I'm like a crack addict over here trying to find RL25 right now.

I had about 500 old winchester primers I literally just dumped in my discard pile last year because I'm becoming a component snob on my reloads. If I could go back I'd smack myself. I'd say just keep what you got. I'm like a crack addict over here trying to find RL25 right now.
What State are you in? I think I have some at home. If I do and you are close I will give it to you.

I wouldn't out right sell anything right now. I would save everything and use surplus as trading material in the future if you end up needing other supplies
He's 1500 mi away or I would have given it to him. I'm not going to get caught up in all this. I'm sure I don't have more than an almost full can. Ended up not using it. I will not ever try and cheat or beat a fellow shooter out of anything, especially during tough times like these.

I bought 11k cci 400 and 200 a year and half ago. They had a deal to spend $300 to get a free Grunt Style hoody and t-shirt, so I bought that much. That's enough primers to at least last me 4 or 5 years. Also have an extra 8lb of CFE223 that I bought at an auction a few years ago. I was thinking of selling 5k primers and the powder but don't know if I will be able to replace it at a lower price in the next few years. How long is this shortage going to last and should I just keep it?
I get back that way once in a while and am pretty well stocked in powders, bullets and brass if you ever want to trade. cci 200 is one of my weaker commodities atm.

He's 1500 mi away or I would have given it to him. I'm not going to get caught up in all this. I'm sure I don't have more than an almost full can. Ended up not using it. I will not ever try and cheat or beat a fellow shooter out of anything, especially during tough times like these.
what does your reply have anything to do with the original post

I also have a bit of rl25, not quite a pound you could deal me out of pretty reasonably lol if you're somewhere near the NE panhandle.

I wouldn't out right sell anything right now. I would save everything and use surplus as trading material in the future if you end up needing other supplies
This is good advice and what I've been doing to get what I want without paying crazy amounts of money for brass, bullets, powder, primers, etc. I did break down early on and pay $80 for brick (sounds cheap today) of small rifle primers but that's the extent of my participation in the craziness.

Primers are selling for hundreds of dollars per brick (1,000) right now. People are paying $200-$500+ per brick for primers and their rate of inflations is through the roof. Just a few months ago it was $80-$100/brick on a local classifieds. It's common to see $200-$250/brick now. Gunbroker.com is way higher but you have to be able to ship to cash in on that.

Point being, It's going to be a while before you'll be able to buy primers at normal prices again. Gun powder, bullets, and brass are hard to find, but doable. Primers are almost impossible. I'd hold onto them. Trade for ultra rare gun powder, if needed, like Retumbo. Help a friend in need out if you can. I'm talking like 100-200 primers at a time, not a brick. Tell them to shoot their 22LR for practice. :)

Last edited:
It doesn't, I thought you were talking to me.
no problem. I am with you on the price gouging it turns my stomach to see fellow shooters treat others that way. it was on the news this morning that Biden is trying to stop online sales of guns, gun parts, ammo, reloading supplies all by executive action so I would be paying attention this might get bad and then the gougers will really come out of the woodwork

no problem. I am with you on the price gouging it turns my stomach to see fellow shooters treat others that way. it was on the news this morning that Biden is trying to stop online sales of guns, gun parts, ammo, reloading supplies all by executive action so I would be paying attention this might get bad and then the gougers will really come out of the woodwork
Now is the time for all of us to be brothers and stick together. We can infight later during better times.

Are people actually paying the ridiculous prices I'm hearing? Just becasue someone on Armslist is asking $1/round for 9MM doesn't mean there is a buyer. Anyone who is willing to pay $1/round for 9MM contact me via PM!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.