Should I sell my surplus primer and powder?

Are people actually paying the ridiculous prices I'm hearing? Just becasue someone on Armslist is asking $1/round for 9MM doesn't mean there is a buyer. Anyone who is willing to pay $1/round for 9MM contact me via PM!
I was at a LGS at lunch and they had 9MM 115FMJ for $30/50 with a limit of 5bx. I didn't buy any. They were $180/1000 two months ago for the same stuff. They claim the increase is from the Distributor. Sad thing is I considered buying 5bx.... They also had 55gr .556, $500 for 500 in ammo cans. Somebody somewhere is making a killin'.

People are paying high prices for everything. I'm sure some are paying $1/rd for 9mm... it seems like 9mm in the 60cpr range goes quickly... even up to 70cpr. Above that and it's slow to move.

As for the OP, I wouldn't sell anything right now unless you need to.

People are paying high prices for everything. I'm sure some are paying $1/rd for 9mm... it seems like 9mm in the 60cpr range goes quickly... even up to 70cpr. Above that and it's slow to move.

As for the OP, I wouldn't sell anything right now unless you need to.
does have a chilling effect on practice though. Its not only ammo, I paid $15 for two pounds of hamburger meat yesterday, and $7.50 for cigarettes. On Jan 20th cigs were $5.88. Premium gas here on Jan 20th was $2.50, now its $3.11. Keep this in mind looking at ammo and components. I doubt it is getting better anytime soon. I'm afraid the primer problem may last a year or more, and the only way I would turn lose of any would be to trade for a type I needed more, or to help someone in a real bind.

Yup.. groceries have gone up and stayed high. Gas here never really got cheap.

Primers will be in short supply for a while. It will first go to the ammo manufacturers and then they'll fill those backorders that some people had for hundreds of thousands. Eventually, we'll get back, but it will be a while.

I bought 11k cci 400 and 200 a year and half ago. They had a deal to spend $300 to get a free Grunt Style hoody and t-shirt, so I bought that much. That's enough primers to at least last me 4 or 5 years. Also have an extra 8lb of CFE223 that I bought at an auction a few years ago. I was thinking of selling 5k primers and the powder but don't know if I will be able to replace it at a lower price in the next few years. How long is this shortage going to last and should I just keep it?
IIWY, I'd keep it. I do not consider it a surplus when there is a current shortage, but that's just me.

Now is the time for all of us to be brothers and stick together. We can infight later during better times.

Yup. I've been doing a bit of fair bartering lately. I've got some excess Varget (which I rarely use) and traded 1lb of that + 50 loaded .44mag rounds for 1,500 small pistol primers. I'd keep reloading supplies for trades.

Now if I could only run into someone with some damned H1000.......

just curious what makes you think there is such thing as surplus powder or primers unless you have enough for yourself your kids and then grandkids anything less than that is just inventory ;)

Yup. I've been doing a bit of fair bartering lately. I've got some excess Varget (which I rarely use) and traded 1lb of that + 50 loaded .44mag rounds for 1,500 small pistol primers. I'd keep reloading supplies for trades.

Now if I could only run into someone with some damned H1000.......

You anywhere close to abq? I have 1 pound unopened I'm gonna pair with some 6.5s in the hope of trading for some Rl25.

Are people actually paying the ridiculous prices I'm hearing? Just becasue someone on Armslist is asking $1/round for 9MM doesn't mean there is a buyer. Anyone who is willing to pay $1/round for 9MM contact me via PM!

Was at a gunshow a couple weekends ago and 9mm steel case was selling for $1/round. 45ACP was $2-3 a round. Primers were selling for $2-400/1000. The new administration has everyone panicked.🙁

I've been trading powders that I use very little for powders that I have good loads and bullets for. For me it's not really a good time to use powders and primers to develop new loads.

I suggest taking an inventory of your preferred load components in total, figure out how you're situated in terms of years shooting, and flag those components you need to extend your supply and those components that are not desirable. If you really have surplus components that are of little use to you, either trade them for your desired components or sell them.

Best case: you trade for things that are better for you and help someone else out in the bargain.

In this time of scarcity, a lot of good can be done simply by swapping the less desirable things we inevitably build up in our inventories.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.