Should I go 20 practical?

wondering what people's experiences are with the 20 practical?? I really enjoy prairie dogs in the spring and was wondering if there is any real benefit to using that vrs just staying with 223??
I'd always used a XP-100's 22 and 6 BR along w/ a 223 Rem 14" Contender barrel. During my "leave of absence" from pd hunting for many years for child rearing, the 20's came out. When I wanted to start my son on pd hunting, I bought him a bolt gun in 223 Rem. Up to this point, I'd had no experience w/ the 20 calibers. A short time later, one of my son-in-laws started pd hunting w/ me using his 204 Ruger. I loaded the armo for him and was impressed w/ both its accuracy and results in the pd fields. Then my brother-in-law bought a 204 Ruger and started pd hunting w/ me. I really liked the performance of the 204 Ruger, but was disappointed in the quality and availability of the Hornady brass. Consequently, a few years later when I decided I wanted a 20 caliber, I put a 20 Practical McGowen barrel on a Model 200 Stevens rifle. Compared to the 204 Ruger, the 20 Practical, there's a much larger selection of brass, varying in quality from pick up range brass to Lapua brass. If I was forced to choose between the 20 Practical and the 223 Rem, I'd go w/ the 20 Practical. The Practical shoots flatter and one can spot their own shots. Admittedly, wind can be a factor in lightweight bullets for both, but when the wind picks up, I change guns. Keep us updated.

twenties are super fun and a measurable twist on the small and fast. I just got a 20 Tactical finished. Still working up loads for the 32 gr VMax. Virtually no recoil. Extremely fur friendly on coyotes (main reason I wanted it) and fantastic fun on PDs of which are plentiful here in MT. And I do enjoy the bench work reforming brass.

Here's a crow from 2 weeks ago from just a stitch over 350
IMG_6592.png
IMG_6591.png

Went out over the weekend with my kid and shot some pds. It was a good time even if they weren't out very good. BUT we just took two bolt 223s and hits weren't as spectacular as they could be. Maybe I need the practical sooner then later 😂😂😂

I'm going pd hunting next weekend. I use a 20 practical and it's great. I see my hits and misses. If you load ammo it is practical. Picked up 100 pieces of brass at the range last week and loaded them. Have 500 rounds

As noted, the 223 is boring… But I still have one in my arsenal as well as a 20 Tactical and a 20 VarTarg. The 20's are fun to shoot and with the right weight rifle, you see the hits in the scope. I also shoot suppressed and that adds a wow factor that you have to experience and will likely be adding a suppressor to the range bag if you are a serious varmint shooter.

l have a Cooper in TAC20. Simply point and shoot out to 300yds. A TRUE 4000fps, just as flat as a 22-250 with HALF the recoil. Retired the 22-250

I like my 12 year old .20P. It has probably killed over 2000 rodents at ranges up to 400 yards plus. Brass is real cheap, I usually use LC range brass - small base F/L size, neck down to .20 using a Redding .223 F/L bushing die having a .226 bushing, then turn necks for uniform neck walls & slip fit bullets into fired brass.

My rifle has a 11 twist, 24 inch McGowen # 3 barrel. Note the nice grain flow of the Richards (select) Bastogne walnut stock bedded in with JB steel epoxy. Standard ordinary Ruger rings were used to mount the Leupold VX3 6.5-20X40 scope, As luck would have it,very little windage adjustment was needed to zero in with centered reticle. The 1 inch Ruger rings were lapped.

IMG_1422.JPGIMG_1424.JPG

Favorite powders are IMR 8208 & CFE223. I modified the Ruger magazine box to add another .1 inch to a accommodate my 40 Vmax loads seated so the boat tail was above the shoulder. I admit the .204R is a better round but brass availability is real cheap & easy with the .20P. At ranges over 275 or about, the 40 Vmax has more velocity than the 32 Vmax & does better in the wind. Looking at other hot temp powders since IMR 8208 is unavailable, possibly Bench Mark, Staball Match, or VN133. .204 R brass is pricy.

Bang - zip - splat - see it hit!

Screenshot (891).png

Last edited:
l have a Cooper in TAC20. Simply point and shoot out to 300yds. A TRUE 4000fps, just as flat as a 22-250 with HALF the recoil. Retired the 22-250
That's screaming. What weight bullet and what barrel length?

I'm getting about 3600 out of a 20" barrel with 40 grain Vmax. I've loaded some 32 grain bullets but haven't chronographed them yet. Actually no...those 32 grain loads are for my .204 Ruger. Only loaded 40 grain for .20P.

Went out over the weekend with my kid and shot some pds. It was a good time even if they weren't out very good. BUT we just took two bolt 223s and hits weren't as spectacular as they could be. Maybe I need the practical sooner then later 😂😂😂
My co-workers and I went gopher shooting after work Monday and killed a few. Two of us were using .22 LR and another with .17 HMR. We killed a few hundred in just a few hours, and then the wind and clouds rolled in (it got harder to see them) and drizzled. Then, off the bar, we go for dinner and some brewskis.

Recent Posts