shots drifting left??

Stickerflicker1

hey guys, hope I can get a little insight on this. I've been shooting out to 1k and my shots are going left about 18" does this sound correct? I have a 28" Douglas barrel 1in 9.25 right twist. shooting 162 a-max with retumbo. my shooter app is telling me I needon't to go .4 moa left. am I missing something? any insight would be greatly appreciated. oh, and little to no wind.

it sounds like the scope is not true to the rifle . as you are dialing elevation you are causing windage . here is a great article exlaining this , and how to correct the problem .

Reticle Perpendicularity

another thing to watch for is rifle cant . are you using a level ?

Last edited:
I like the scope-ring level-bubble option on rifles I normally use for long-range hunting/target shooting, after I have done as suggested in this post.

Jim

yes, a flatline ops. it is on a nightforce 5.5x22 with Moar reticale. 20 moa xtreme hardcore gear rail. I took a steel ruler and laid in the action to level that out, then took off turret cap and leveled scope, then leveled out the bubble level. thanks for some feed back. just finished more reloads so I can donate some more lead to the side of the mountain tomorrow . I'll read that article that you had sent. thanks again

yes, a flatline ops. it is on a nightforce 5.5x22 with Moar reticale. 20 moa xtreme hardcore gear rail. I took a steel ruler and laid in the action to level that out, then took off turret cap and leveled scope, then leveled out the bubble level. thanks for some feed back. just finished more reloads so I can donate some more lead to the side of the mountain tomorrow . I'll read that article that you had sent. thanks again
Levels are a course adjustment, you need to do some kind of tall target test to fine tune the reticle movement, I hate doing it but it's the only way other than luck to do it as get a true level for your optic.

Levels are a course adjustment, you need to do some kind of tall target test to fine tune the reticle movement, I hate doing it but it's the only way other than luck to do it as get a true level for your optic.

+1

Shooting a tall target test is the only way to be certain that you have leveled your scope with the bore of your barrel, as the center of the bore being off from the center of your action by as little as 0.0005 inches will show up at 1000 yards. It will also show up on a tall target test at 100 yards.

It cost several rounds down the barrel but it is worth doing. It also allows you to calibrate your turret adjustments at the same time.

ya, I read that article and it made a lot of sense. never thought about shooting 20 moa high at 100 after finding zero,but it makes sense. I'm going to do that tomorrow and I'll let you know how it goes.

hey guys, hope I can get a little insight on this. I've been shooting out to 1k and my shots are going left about 18" does this sound correct? I have a 28" Douglas barrel 1in 9.25 right twist. shooting 162 a-max with retumbo. my shooter app is telling me I needon't to go .4 moa left. am I missing something? any insight would be greatly appreciated. oh, and little to no wind.
I'm thinking you need to make your correction to the right, not left if you want to move the strike of the bullet right. Most modern scopes use true adjustments, right if you want it moved right and left if you want it moved left unlike Irons and some old scopes I've seen over the years.

You could also very likely reading the wind wrong or entering it from the wrong direction. Be sure you know North, South, East, West anytime you are shooting with an app. If you don't get the right data fed into the program you can't get the right answer back.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts