Shot Placement ?

EWY

I have a new property to deer hunt on. It is adjacent to a forest preserve. I need to put the deer down very quickly. If it runs there is a very good chance of it going into the forest preserve and that creates all kinds of problems. I am thinking that I need to break at least one shoulder. I wondered what other people think. I am shooting a 20 gauge with Remington Accutips. Anticipated distance is about 100 yards.
Thanks,
Ernie

I have a new property to deer hunt on. It is adjacent to a forest preserve. I need to put the deer down very quickly. If it runs there is a very good chance of it going into the forest preserve and that creates all kinds of problems. I am thinking that I need to break at least one shoulder. I wondered what other people think. I am shooting a 20 gauge with Remington Accutips. Anticipated distance is about 100 yards.
Thanks,
Ernie
Google high shoulder shot big game. I would do a ballistic check of your slug energy at 100 yards. If its 1000 ft pds of energy or greater you should be fine

Put the slug into or exiting a shoulder usually puts them down on the spot. Like has been said shock from hitting bone especially from a high shoulder shot that traumatizes the spine usually puts them down destruction of vitals is what kills them. Many deer are dead on their hooves but adrenalin makes them run a ways before the brain gets the message "YOU ARE DEAD".

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts