Short range success with long range rifle

LIK2HNT

Well I never got to touch the trigger on my R. Brothers 7mmWSM at an animal this year. But my 13 year old son did. I shot my deer with a Rem. 700 in .308 that I set up for my kids and tested the outcomes of shooting Barnes all copper bullets. Which by the way preformed great. Now back to the 7mWSM.
Cannot get the pictures in order, but here it goes.

First picture is from last year, I just like the view.

Ben's antelope. Saw this lone doe walking and feed in our direction about 1.5 miles out. We crawled about 400 yards and waited for her to get closer. When I realized she would walk past use at 350 to 400 yards I set Ben up with my rifle. His .243 was not set up for anything past 250 yards. When the doe got to 325 yards and stopped I finished adjusting the scope and told him to hold dead on on its shoulder. Just as he was about to touch the trigger she plopped down. From out prone position only her head and top of her neck was visible. I asked Ben if he could see her head and he said yes. Are you rock steady? and cross hairs not moving what so ever? Yes he said. I told him to place the cross hairs 1.5 to 2 inches below the ear and at the center of the neck and to touch the trigger ONLY if rock steady. After a few seconds I saw the antelopes head whiplash to the ground at the report of the rifle. Results were one happy 13 year old.

Next three pictures are out of order, but show Ben's blacktail deer hunt. I spotted this buck laying down in the tree in the last picture. We got to 174 yards and made our stand. The buck was really hidden and you could only see a few parts of him through the branches. At first my son could not see the buck even through the spotting scope. I kept telling him to concentrate looking through the branches and look for a black nose. Then stare until you see the left side of it's face and the left antler, once you see that stare to the right to make out part of his body. He was getting frustrated not being able to see the deer. And I bet he was thinking I was full of it and there was no deer. All of a sudden I saw a great big smile appear on his face as he was looking through the spotter. We set up his .308 w/ 4.5 -14 Leupold but he could not see the deer through it. I got behind his rifle and I could barely make out the parts of the buck for a shot, so I set the rifle in place and had him slid behind it to get the shot. Still did not work, we tried this a few times and I saw he was getting frustrated. He would slide over and see the buck in the spotter, but every time he got behind the rifle he could not see it. Finally I asked him if he wanted to shot my rifle. He smiled and said yes. Amazing what 22 power can do. He still had a little problem finding it but he did. Only possible shot through the branches was a forward shoulder lower neck shot. He settled in behind the rifle and made a perfect one shot kill. Buck never got up from its bed. Again, a very happy 13 year old.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 007 - Email.JPG
    007 - Email.JPG
    162.3 KB · Views: 117
  • 004 - Copy.JPG
    004 - Copy.JPG
    56.2 KB · Views: 112
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    363.8 KB · Views: 103
  • 011 - Copy.JPG
    011 - Copy.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 154
  • 222 - Copy.JPG
    222 - Copy.JPG
    226.2 KB · Views: 124
Great story and pics! Congrats to your son! I can't wait until my son and daughter are old enough to go with me.

Thanks
No chance at my son taking over this rifle, or not until he gets older & stronger. He hates carrying it. To heavy for him, about 14.5 lbs field ready, and he has me suckered into carrying it for him. Besides my funds are pretty tapped out with the two 308's I put together for the kids this year.

I defiantly want to have Travis at R. Brothers build another, but it will most likely be for my Daughter in 4 years when she graduates from college. If I have any money left to my name>:D

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts