short oal in savage Model 12

bowhunterjae

Good morning,
I have been reading this post for years but I have never had a question to anything I could not find in archives until now.
I have a Savage Model 12 BVSS Bolt Action Rifle .223 Rem 26 Fluted Heavy Stainless Barrel.
The overall length touching the lands is 2.2415 and the ogive is 1.8345. This is short. Anyone else with this problem. I do reload so not a big problem but I have to reload specificly for this 223.
Thank You in addvance,
John

Good morning,
I have been reading this post for years but I have never had a question to anything I could not find in archives until now.
I have a Savage Model 12 BVSS Bolt Action Rifle .223 Rem 26 Fluted Heavy Stainless Barrel.
The overall length touching the lands is 2.2415 and the ogive is 1.8345. This is short. Anyone else with this problem. I do reload so not a big problem but I have to reload specificly for this 223.
Thank You in addvance,
John

never owned a Savage .223, but own several others. My Remington 700 throat was so long that you could touch he lands with a 55 grain bullet (factory chamber). My Lo-Wall is pretty close to what you posted. I have had three Savage 22-250's, and all three chambers seemed to be cut near the minimum length, but with about .025" -.032" added to the neck length (Note: these measurements on the neck length are not what I'd call precision, but still within .005"). My Remington was about .045" longer than the neck, but have seen rifles that were in the .070" range. I did a new chamber in my Remington with a .223 N.M. reamer, and is somewhat short as well. (I need to dig out my log books to see how far off my thoughts are). I head space with different numbers than most do as I use a different gauge line number and diameter. Yet the length to the lands should be fairly close assuming we are using the same bullet.

As long as the rifle will chamber a factory round, I wouldn't loose any sleep. If it will, then be glad that somebody finally cut a minimum spec chamber!
gary

never owned a Savage .223, but own several others. My Remington 700 throat was so long that you could touch he lands with a 55 grain bullet (factory chamber). My Lo-Wall is pretty close to what you posted. I have had three Savage 22-250's, and all three chambers seemed to be cut near the minimum length, but with about .025" -.032" added to the neck length (Note: these measurements on the neck length are not what I'd call precision, but still within .005"). My Remington was about .045" longer than the neck, but have seen rifles that were in the .070" range. I did a new chamber in my Remington with a .223 N.M. reamer, and is somewhat short as well. (I need to dig out my log books to see how far off my thoughts are). I head space with different numbers than most do as I use a different gauge line number and diameter. Yet the length to the lands should be fairly close assuming we are using the same bullet.

As long as the rifle will chamber a factory round, I wouldn't loose any sleep. If it will, then be glad that somebody finally cut a minimum spec chamber!
gary

Gary,
I Thank You for the responce.
John

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.