Short barreled magnum for supressor use.

I just ordered my younger sons first rifle. Sauer 100 in 6.5PRC with 22" barrel. I am seriously considering cutting it down to 18-20" because this rifle will basically always be suppressed for him.

I have to get the rifle threaded, is it worth I to have it cut down and then threaded?
That short a barrel suppressed, I'd still be using ear protection especially with younger shooters.

Bergara Action, 7PRC, 22" Carbon6 barrel, 4" Wyoming arms suppressor, 2850fps w/ factory 175eldx.
IMG_1678.jpeg

That short a barrel suppressed, I'd still be using ear protection especially with younger shooters.
We always do. I have tinnitus and I am sure most of it was from dove hunting when I was a kid without ear pro. My dad learned to hunt from his friends and they never used ear pro for shotgun, so I never learned til later either. I learned the hard way, my kids don't need to repeat the lesson.

We always do. I have tinnitus and I am sure most of it was from dove hunting when I was a kid without ear pro. My dad learned to hunt from his friends and they never used ear pro for shotgun, so I never learned til later either. I learned the hard way, my kids don't need to repeat the lesson.
Ditto, that constant ring is annoying as F. Loud music, drilling rigs and prob 75k rounds of gun fire in my life, my hearing is rough. Typically at rifle matches I'm wearing in ear, and over ear at same time.

Ditto, that constant ring is annoying as F. Loud music, drilling rigs and prob 75k rounds of gun fire in my life, my hearing is rough. Typically at rifle matches I'm wearing in ear, and over ear at same time.
I use double ear pro alot too especially if I am shooting braked rifles or are around braked rifles. My hearing isn't terrible, but it isn't great Soni need to protect it.

I have to have background noise at night to sleep well. I have a fan in the corner of my room that runs every night whether it is hot or cold. Out camping I have an app on my phone to play background noise so I can sleep better. I only really "hear" the ringing if it is quite or I pay attention to it.

My hearing was pretty bad for all the same reasons. However 3 shots from a short magnum rifle without ear pro at a deer who just wouldn't give it up and I didnt want to run off seriously damaged my left ear. Constant ringing now and hearing loss. That is what has me wanting to shoot suppressed and use hearing protection.

My hearing was pretty bad for all the same reasons. However 3 shots from a short magnum rifle without ear pro at a deer who just wouldn't give it up and I didnt want to run off seriously damaged my left ear. Constant ringing now and hearing loss. That is what has me wanting to shoot suppressed and use hearing protection.
Do you ahoot suppressed now?

IMG_4363.jpeg
19" bbl in .300 Win. TBAC Ultra 5, massively fun to shoot. Using 190 gr Berger HVLDs. Will almost always put 3 shots inside of 0.3" at 100. Last three mulies were all over 500 yards.

1800 fps out to 850 yards, chrony says 2785 fps at 10'.

Last edited:
That's pretty dang cool! That Norma mag AI sounds like a beast. Getting basically the same velocity from that 225 out of a 19 inch pipe that I'm getting from a 24 inch 300 win mag.
Yeah I think it's about the best 30 out there, I can push it well over 2800 fps but I don't like running over pressure loads.
Consistency and accuracy are what matters most