Short barreled 243win load?

zr600

Ok I have a short barreled 243win I'm working on it's for my mom, she's fairly small so the rifle is a youth model. It's barrel length is 19" or so. What bullet and what powder would you recommend? I was thinking maybe h4350 or rl16 would be to slow of a burn for the shorter barrel was wondering if a faster powder would be a little better. It will be used for deer hunting not any long range either. What would you recommend for powder and bullets?

I have a tikka .243 cut back to 21" and threaded for my suppressor.

I run RL-17 with a 90 grain accubond at 2980 fps, works great on deer and hogs around here.

For coyotes or just playing at the range I use H4350 with an 80 grain sierra and get around 3200.

I would think RL-16 would work well, just never tried it myself.

I have used Hunter and H4350 with 85 gr. Barnes TSX bullets in a 20" barrel with good results. I also have used R-26 with 95 gr. partitions but in a 22" barrel, I have not gotten around to trying it in the 20" barrel.

Whatever powder you'd use in a long barrel will work equally well in a short barrel. I've had good luck with H4831sc and Ramshot Magnum in a 14" barreled 243 pistol.

In the middle of working a load up for my Barrett field craft in 243 with the 18" bbl.. 42 grains of H4831sc under a Berger 95 gn Classic hunter 5k off lands is shooting under 1/2 moa initially. working on a 95 gr Partition load as well with same powder. all are suppressed loads but shot without can and was just as good of groups. No pressure signs

20" Mossberg youth .243
RL26 rem brass cci 200
95 bt- Very stout bullet, heavy copper base. Seated a little long. Kills everything
Full case of powder gets 3220fps.

Good for coyote through moose.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.