Shooting while pregnant?

So you're going to ask a bunch of non-maternal-fetal medicine pratcticioners for pre-natal medical advice? Ok...
Here's my non-medical advice.

The concensus between your doctors appears to be, yes, she can, so there's your answer. If you don't wish to follow that advice, then don't shoot. I mean, that's kind of where you're at.

First of all I'm not a Dr. But have read countless articles and talked to our baby Dr friend that I fish with. My daughter is having a baby soon. She likes shooting. So it seems that indoor shooting ranges are a no-go because of lead and increased noise level. But he said the sound of a gunshot is very much muffled inside the womb and some shooting wouldn't hurt the baby. He also said most Drs won't give you a definitive answer because there is little in the way of studies relating to this. So ask your Drs very specific questions about taking a few sight in shots and a few hunting shots only and go by what they say. I trust my Drs opinion but ultimately you have to trust your Drs opinion.
Shep

As a trained Metrology Engineer (applied philosophy in the study of weights and measures) I can UNEQUIVOCALLY pronounce the sound and pressure levels produced by rifle fire CAN NOT POSSIBLY BE DETRIMENTAL ANY MORE THAN RIDING IN A CAR, HAVING SEX, RIDING A ATV, A BICYCLE OR TRICYCLE!!!

BASIC PHYSICS GENTLEMAN!

That said: possible hearing damage MIGHT be possible for developing eardrums in fluid in the womb... no studies I am aware of address this issue

BTW

All 9 of my babies were fine regardless of the ex wife regularly shooting her 1976 vintage Ruger model 77 heavt barrel in 7mm mag shooting high speed federal 160?s into 1/2" 5 shot groups @ 100yds with a leupold m8 4x...

All babies born bald, naked and ****ed off to leave that warm cuddly womb via a tiny cramped hot cave into a cold cruel world!!!

Btw that rifle with that 4x scope acquired 27, drt, 1 shot drops of mulies, whitetail, blackmail, Roosevelt's, rockies, 1 black bear....

Ruger made everything right the day they made that rifle...

.243 Browning BAR. The semi will absorb the recoil. 85gr ammo. No brake, No brake. All they do is make you deaf. Big heavy scope helps even more. and no matter what anyone says. 85gr .243 kills deer.

First of all I'm not a Dr. But have read countless articles and talked to our baby Dr friend that I fish with. My daughter is having a baby soon. She likes shooting. So it seems that indoor shooting ranges are a no-go because of lead and increased noise level. But he said the sound of a gunshot is very much muffled inside the womb and some shooting wouldn't hurt the baby. He also said most Drs won't give you a definitive answer because there is little in the way of studies relating to this. So ask your Drs very specific questions about taking a few sight in shots and a few hunting shots only and go by what they say. I trust my Drs opinion but ultimately you have to trust your Drs opinion.
Shep

But did you stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night?

My wife is 6 months pregnant. She loves hunting and shooting but has done neither yet during pregnancy with a gun. All hunting has been with a bow so far. Rifle season starts here in November 16th. Her pregnancy doctor is not a single doctor but rather a group of 4 doctors. So she rotates between them depending on who is available during her visits. Anyways, every time she goes she asks about shooting while pregnant. We have received 3 different answers. One doctor said it is fine. The second doctor said they would not risk it. The third doctor said an occasional shot (hunting as an example) is fine but range shooting should be avoided. I think we have simply decided to play it safe and just not shoot period but I am curious what everyone's thoughts here are or see if anyone else here has any experience with this. Thanks!
My wife killed a 42" Shiras moose when she was 71/2 months prego with my daughter and loved it. 19 years my daughter killed one a bit bigger! She had to put do her mother. Years later my wife gave birth to our second in September and killed a 30" muley in November!

My wife did barn chores including milking, shoveling manure and everything right up till she went to labor. She did this seven times.

Daughter #1 hunted antelope with .308 Win and practiced with it at the range prior to the hunt. She was 6-7 months along at the time. Did not take a lot of shots (and only one on antelope). The kid is a bruiser and smart, no hearing or other issues.

I'd ask the doctor what their specific concerns are. And I don't know that I'd pay much attention to them if they are anti-gun.

My wife is 6 months pregnant. She loves hunting and shooting but has done neither yet during pregnancy with a gun. All hunting has been with a bow so far. Rifle season starts here in November 16th. Her pregnancy doctor is not a single doctor but rather a group of 4 doctors. So she rotates between them depending on who is available during her visits. Anyways, every time she goes she asks about shooting while pregnant. We have received 3 different answers. One doctor said it is fine. The second doctor said they would not risk it. The third doctor said an occasional shot (hunting as an example) is fine but range shooting should be avoided. I think we have simply decided to play it safe and just not shoot period but I am curious what everyone's thoughts here are or see if anyone else here has any experience with this. Thanks!

Randy

It's not the shooting that would worry me. What if she took a bad fall? Does your Doctor make "Forest Visits"?

Every Ob, myself included, will give you a slightly different answer. I tell my patients not to shoot. Something else to consider, besides the noise, is the fitness of the individual and the terrain you will be hunting. Some hunting is very strenuous on an individual and if it's rough, rocky terrain a bad spill will certainly ruin the hunt. I have lots of patients whose balance and movement is hampered by their pregnancy and others who get dizzy, have palpitations or even faint without doing anything strenuous. A pregnant woman who falls hard, especially on her belly, will need to go in for monitoring.
One of my supervising docs actually operated on a pregnant woman who had been shot. The bullet went through the side of the womb without striking the baby or breaking her water. He just patched up the bullet hole. They were lucky. Good thing she wasn't shot with a hunting rifle.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.