Shooting rest while developing loads

Thanks for all the advise. I was finally able to get to a sporting goods store that had a Rock BR on display. It looks like a nice solid rest. I think making the adjustements on the front of the gun and leaving the rear bag alone will make a big difference in my shot to shot consistency. My rifle is sighted in at 200 with the Bipod. It will be interesting to verify the POI with the rest.

Boss who makes the front rest?

Mine is a custom and the person who built it is no longer building them. He only built a few kind of as a favor to some of the guys he shot with. He used to travel and compete but no longer does. I have not spoken to him in several years.

Great to run across another fan of "Speedy" rifles. At last count there were 9 in the safe. Glad to know there's someone good at the webbing and marking. If you get too much spare time, I've got about 4 rebarrels coming up! :rolleyes:

All you need to do is leave that plastic covering on the barrel, I only have Kreiger, so I know they come with them, find someone with a bead blaster, voila.

Here's two pictures of a machine rest with one of David Tubb's model 2000 barreled actions clamped in. Conventional rifles clamp in the same way except their butt stock has escutcheons on each side in front of the butt pad where ball tipped cross bolts hold it. There's adjustments for windage and elevation.

Designed in the late 1950's, about a dozen or more were built for high power rifle competitors to use test rifles and ammo. They weigh about 70 to 80 pounds. The upper part, or cradle, recoils back about 2 inches with a 13-pound .308 Win. rifle clamped in. Its 3-point suspension of 2 V blocks and one rod sliding on another allows repeatability when pushed back into battery after each shot of about 1/100th MOA.

Old Winchester Model 70's rebuilt into match rifles have produced 10-shot groups at 600 yards under 1.5 inches from this monster.

254765249_4c32d1a311.jpg

254765260_139624abd8_z.jpg

All you need to do is leave that plastic covering on the barrel, I only have Kreiger, so I know they come with them, find someone with a bead blaster, voila.

There is a trick to the process and if not done perfectly----will screw it up and you do not use the netting the blank came in. That is all I will say about it.

There is a trick to the process and if not done perfectly----will screw it up and you do not use the netting the blank came in. That is all I will say about it.

I have seen them done with the netting and it looks perfect, thats all I will say about that.

I'm with you on the "screw it up" part. Several years ago I was hanging out with Speedy working on one of my P-dog guns and got a look at a barrel a guy brought in after taking a run at a barrel with netting and a bead blaster and saving the shop fee. First impression of the work was to find a place to bury it. Next revelation was the fact that you can't fix it. You're right on the "trick" to get the perfect pattern with no over-run. Not rocket science, but definitely needs to be done right.

You can't repolish the barrel ? if you do a mistake and start over. I am just learning so don't mind me.

Bart B, This is a follow up to earlier, about a friend of mines tight group. I new his record, but did not realize he has shot below it many times. He shoots light and heavy gun Penn. rules. He said his 10 ring was 7''? Anyway I had a chance to go with him today and he was testing loads. He took sighters at clay pigeons, and he said he likes to warm up his gun.HE shot about 45 shots, groups of 5,sets of ten on 2 targets. I looked at my watch, about 8-10 seconds for 5.1000 yrd. I saw him shoot best 7/8 vert.2 7/8 horizontal, he did this twice, under 3'' and like 1/14 vert. one group was 7 thous. off, and he said this was rare for that larger jump,6mm dasher.His largest group was 5 1/8, and he had a 3, 2 group where 3 were in 1''. I have never been around someone that can shot like that so I WAS AMAZED. H e records everything. At his house he showed me a good 1/2 doz. targets that where under 3'', he saves. HE had back to back targets like that recent from his heavy gun.We left at 4am to shot to have good coditions, between driving back and forth he had to do a 30'' windage adjust.HE basically said the rifle will do it but needs optimum conditions that are not often at matches.I can see your avid LR so thought this interesting.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.