Rifle rest orientation during Load Development

kuduman

Benchrest shooters use a plate fastened to the forearm of the rifle and sometimes a horizontal rod fastened to the rear which rest in the rear bag.. With this system, there is very little ,if any canting and the steadiness is far improved.. With that said,, When developing a load, would you not want to remove as much of the human factor or movement as possible so the rifle goes off with the crosshairs steady on target. Once the load has been determined,, remove the plate and rod and sight in the scope the traditional way. I realize that the rifle will recoil differently which each system so sighting in the scope with the plates attached and then removing them to go hunting would not be wise. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you

not really
it Is a shooting system
rifle ammo shooter
in load development you want as many variables out of the test as possible BUT you are testing the LOAD in the RIFLE. IF you change the rifle, the load no longer matches the system.
use a rest and a rear bag to develop a load BUT TO ZERO SHOOT FROM HUNTING POSITIONS

And make it a habit to dry fire between rounds, while cooling the barrel. I picked up a little 1/4 to 1/2" horizontal flinch I could see in the scope today.
I corrected it shortly before firing for record.
3 months of not shooting reared its ugly head.

as a side note, current BENCHREST shooters use custom stocks, that based on class and rules, have a flat fore arm, and a butt stock with a near flat lower edge. they add nothing, its is how the current stocks are built. companies sell parts to add to productions rifles to allow a more controlled seating in bags and rests. i have shot "factory class" rifles in club benchrest. none of those parts were allowed.

Benchrest shooters use a plate fastened to the forearm of the rifle and sometimes a horizontal rod fastened to the rear which rest in the rear bag.. With this system, there is very little ,if any canting and the steadiness is far improved.. With that said,, When developing a load, would you not want to remove as much of the human factor or movement as possible so the rifle goes off with the crosshairs steady on target. Once the load has been determined,, remove the plate and rod and sight in the scope the traditional way. I realize that the rifle will recoil differently which each system so sighting in the scope with the plates attached and then removing them to go hunting would not be wise. Your thoughts would be appreciated.
Thank you

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.