Shooting off tripod: (ball head or pan head) * (Arca-Swiss or ???)

Look at the base shape on the rrs anvil,the bottom is flat with a 3/8x16 hole.The sides,above are tappered. Some tripods or adapter plates are used so this mates.That can be lock tited or not.Helps keep head secure when doing adjustment for shoot.There are also cups that can be used.On my builders lazer level ,tripod has a cup on top,lazer base is flat but hollow with hole in center. Attachment is a threaded handle below,lazer has bubble.Idea is you can quickly move head unit a crtain amount,then tighten below at desired position.This is a different type mount than the one greyfox has.But an example,and has less angle,tilt, adjustment.Look at a few rrs videos and youll see what I mean

I'm slowly getting more and more geared up. My style is backpack hunting, mostly in the desert. I'm glassing with 12x50 binoculars and using a Kramer Designs snipe pod set up as a lightweight tripod. I've got a quick release Outdoorsmans panner on top of the KDC tripod. I do like the KDC set-up, it's very light and adds significant stability to the binos. Switching between using the KDC snipepod as a tripod and rifle bipod is possible, but it does take a little time and seems noisy when I'm trying to be quiet. The KDC snipepod is fine to shoot off of, similar to shooting sticks I would imagine.

I'm looking to step up to a full size tripod for the upcoming season and would like to add a spotting scope to the mix for digiscoping. I practice shooting off my pack now, so would not necessarily plan on shooting from the tripod every time. I'm thinking I might enjoy shooting a little more with a proper tripod rest, thus practice more in the off-season.

I see Outdoorsmans basically offers their pan heads with their proprietary plates and Arca-Swiss. The Arca-Swiss seems superior to Manfroto as it is a little skinnier and maybe less bulky. Arca-Swiss also seems like it will be the winner (ala VHS vs. Beta) of the adapter plate wars.

Q: is a ball head superior to a panhead for shooting? I would imagine you could control cant with the ball head if you didn't have the tripod perfectly level.

Q: Are there any US made ball heads suitable for shooting and glassing? The Outdoorsmans fluid head and Jim White 2.0 are both Arca-Swiss compatible and made in USA.

For switching between rifle to optics, is a clamp like the Hog Saddle preferable to mounting a plate to the bottom of the rifle? Rifle would be a "mountain type" like my Ridgeline with composite stock.

thanks in advance for thoughts on the matter.

I have put together a system much like you describe using RRS Arca Swiss components and a couple of knock off Items. I use it for both LRH and PRS and have no problem hitting confidently to 600 yards off the tripod using a sling attached to a flush cup on the side of my rifle and the other end anchored to my belt loop that allows me to create tension while behind the rifle. If you are not a military shooter or PRS guru there are a few YouTube videos that explain this technique. A good one to watch is the guy who makes the Scout Sniper Loop sling. the same Marine that makes the HOG Saddle I believe.

Via the "knock off" 60mm Arca Swiss plates I can mount any accessory to the tripod such as binos, spotter, camcorder, LRF etc. I Personally use the RF Cam Cradle by Defensive Edge. The Cradle allows me to have my mini camcorder, spotting scope and LRF all synched to the same POA while mounted to my tripod. Check it out at DE's website or Sam Millard at Panhandle precision does a great review on it.

TRIPOD - It is a knock off of RRS's $1400 carbon flagship design. It is the INNOREL RT90C $300ish on Amazon.
it will allow you to shoot from the standing or down to prone.

many shooters are running this in PRS and hunting circles too. It's carbon, rated for 88 lbs and only weighs 5 pounds - it comes with a bowl adapter and twist handle that allows you to rotate 360 degrees, cant and swivel 15* up or down and lock down you position all with one hand control. Plus it has a 3/8 threaded male post that allows you to mount a RRS 60mm Level Clamp to it. That clamp comes in two different config. A 3/8 or 1/4 threaded center hole - the 3/8 hole clamp is - model B2-LR-II $120

RIFLE - has an Area 419 ARCALOCK 12" universal rail $100 on the bottom. This allows my rifle to mount rock solid to my tripod and allows me to keep my bipod mounted as well > by using an Area 419 Harris bipod ACRA Clamp kit $100. Very slick set up once you see how it all flows together.

I can shoot off my tripod or dismount my rifle and drop it into a bipod config and mount any number of the items mentioned above using the "knock off" 60mm Arca Swiss plates found on eBay for $8.95 each or the Cam Cradle in my case.

You are looking at about $620 + tax and shipping and $8.95 for each plate plus the cost of having a smith mount the Arca rail on your rifle if you are not capable. If the Cam Cradle fires you up that is another $175

Attachments

• fully extended .jpg
    fully extended .jpg
    139.9 KB · Views: 374
  • Arca swiss rail.jpg
    Arca swiss rail.jpg
    466.7 KB · Views: 359
  • RRS 60 mm lever clamp.jpg
    RRS 60 mm lever clamp.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 367
  • handle control .jpg
    handle control .jpg
    126.1 KB · Views: 362
  • Harris  bipod kit.jpg
    Harris bipod kit.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 361
  • flush cup for sling.jpg
    flush cup for sling.jpg
    127.8 KB · Views: 397
  • knock off 60 mm arca plates.png
    knock off 60 mm arca plates.png
    56.1 KB · Views: 367
  • Cam Cradle.jpg
    Cam Cradle.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.