shooting logs

Everything ---- rifle data, load data, weather, scope adjustments, chrono data, round count and any other notes I feel will help. Last thing is to add target sketch or actual targets to log. You will learn as much from your shooting log as you learn from your reloading log. Comparing results between the two, are essential to finding all sorts of the problems that drive us crazy. I keep a book on every rifle I own, both reloading & shooting. I used to keep them separate, now I put everything into a school Composition Notebook, dedicated to each rifle. The first pages are complete descriptions of rifle, scope, sight height and the bolt face to lands seating depth of every bullet I might use + AB updated BC. Each book also has a copy of the build sheet and reamer print.

You'll be surprised at how often you will reference good data.

can you post a picture of your log page so I canat least get a mental pic of what I need right now I just write the gun and vel yards and where from point of aim I hit in a note book got some heavy paper to make some that will be better outdoors in weather but don't know what all I should have to look back and see how im doing or if im having a bad day

I used to be absolutely data crazy and kept a log of absolutely all of the environmental factors, angles, elevation changes along with all of my load data as well as POI vs predicted POI from my dope.

To be honest, I shoot so much with so many different rifles I can't keep up with it anymore other than looking back at my text messages back and forth with a buddy of mine with whom we always share our shot data.

I guess I'm getting old and lazy.

I used to be absolutely data crazy and kept a log of absolutely all of the environmental factors, angles, elevation changes along with all of my load data as well as POI vs predicted POI from my dope.

To be honest, I shoot so much with so many different rifles I can't keep up with it anymore other than looking back at my text messages back and forth with a buddy of mine with whom we always share our shot data.

I guess I'm getting old and lazy.

Heck, I barely record test data anymore if it doesn't work well for me.. I used to keep a log so I didn't dup up bad data, but I just take a mental note to not go there again now...

I created a reloading database 8-10 years ago and it has been great. I'm loading for 22 different calibers so it's pretty hard to remember it all.

I created a reloading database 8-10 years ago and it has been great. I'm loading for 22 different calibers so it's pretty hard to remember it all.

I only load for 13 different rifle cartridges and two pistol cartridges... fortunately, most loads for the rifles are rather set and I rarely stray once a rifle is set up and shooting well...

Heck, I barely record test data anymore if it doesn't work well for me.. I used to keep a log so I didn't dup up bad data, but I just take a mental note to not go there again now...
When all I was loading for was 2-3 rifles all in different calibers that method worked just fine. Right now I'm loading for 12 different rifles in five different calibers so I'm getting back to keeping good data on each of them so as to not make a major boo boo with any of them. For some reason my wife thinks I need to keep both eyes and all of my fingers. HA! gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.