Shooting in the West Valley

Who else is doing long range in the west valley of Phoenix? I've been going to Cow Town mostly by myself!
oh-me-saturday-night-live.gif

Cowtown member here too.
I usually shoot 2-3 times a month. From 345 to 1389. Take 6 rifles, shoot 80-120 rounds over 3 hours. Next day, sore collarbone. Totally worth it.

I drive 17hrs about twice a year to shoot Ben Avery. 😅 I've also shot Phoenix Rod and Gun club several times.

Looked into it last year but with my limited time I couldn't justify the cost just yet. Rio salado is 25 minutes from the house and I'm a member there . It does suck to only be able to shoot 300 yds . If my work schedule changes and I've got more time it would make sense.

1 MOA at each distance. 720, 880, 960 1100,&1220 yards. It's a fun match with a great bunch of guys! But it ain't easy! LOL No big prizes or sponsors just $10 & a small plaque to the winner. You can shoot bench or prone.
The Golden Spike Shooting Range at the N end of the Great Salt Lake ran a similar match. That match got me started shooting to longer distances, great fun.

I honestly cannot believe how many people drive to the desert to shoot handguns - the price of gas alone justifies shooting at either Phoenix Rod and Gun (South Mountain) or Usery Pass (I used to be a member some years ago).

I shoot at Phoenix Rod and Gun a lot when I am in AZ; on Monday and Friday mornings, as well as Sunday and Wednesday afternoons, you can shoot out to 500. I do shoot about once per week in the desert at longer ranges if only to remind myself how nice it is to step out of my backdoor in CO and shoot as far as I want. Super windy in CO now. On days like today, I practice 500 and 620.
Shhhh. Don't tell everyone about PRGC. 🤣

I have always wanted to put a hunting group together at the Berger 1000 yard range at Ben Avery. It would be cool to be able to go out there aside from Desert Sharp shooters or like groups , and just be able to validate hunting rigs. I got the info on it, and it only takes like 5 guys or so to run the range. I know you have to have a liability insurance set up, but heck thats only a drop in the bucket if you had enough guys. I have some spots to validate and stretch out to big distance, but they are tricky when it's windy to validate,and just a lot of work.

Just get a few friends and shoot the 1000 yard practice sessions to check your rifle and dial ups. I have gone will a friend that shoots the practices regularly. Kinda fun to workout my 270 out using his electronic target at 1000.

Attachments

• IMG_0128.jpeg
    IMG_0128.jpeg
    153.7 KB · Views: 18
I went out once for a practice session, I just wanted to validate one cold bore shot @ 1000 yards. A guy helped me out in the pit, and I was able to get on my way pretty quick, I just felt like odd man out with the f class guys lol. Maybe it was the sandals and the muzzle brake. For that particular session the guy had to stay in the pit I think a minimum of one hour

Being next to the White Tanks and driving to either Phoenix Rod and Gun or Cowtown is a wash mileage wise from where I go shooting. Only cost me the fuel. Would like to go someday to either. I can shoot safely and without any distractions from typical range activity.
I bring everything I need which does take time to setup but it's "everything". 15 minutes I'm guessing. Including a comfy adjustable office chair for my bench, lol.

I live in North Glendale and I would be interested in a hunting group for the 1000 yard range at Ben Avery. Couple of guys I work with would be interested as well!

I have 2 other guys that would be in for sure. I would imagine the liability insurance wouldn't be more than $50 a month. I am no insurance expert, but I have a 2 million dollar policy for my business, and it's $48 a month.