Shooter’s World powder

Dnk9444

Anyone have any experience with Shooters World Precision powder? I just ordered a jug. Suppose to be very close to Varget. My 308 loves Varget but I'm just about out and was hoping this is as good as the claims.

I have some. It sure isn't Varget, I know the Midsouth blog says it's basically a grain for grain switch, I've found it is a little faster. I grabbed a few one pound bottles when it came out. I did order a jug of it I haven't cracked until yet.

I did a side by side comparison with 223 and 52 smk, 22-250 with the smk and 308 with a 168 hpbt, all same charges vs Varget . The SWP did great with the 223 and 22-250, but in the 308 fell a bit behind. Velocity was a bit higher.

I loaded some up in my 6mm Dasher and couldn't get to 2900 fps with a 107 Smk before I hit pressure.

Maybe the new jug will have a little different burn rate. I don't have anything bad to say about it, just don't use your Varget data, work up as you normally would. I did just try it with a budget AR and 24.5gr with a 69gr TMK. Wasn't the greatest match up, going to try it again with SMKs that don't have to be so far in the case.

Let us know how it works for you.

I have some. It sure isn't Varget, I know the Midsouth blog says it's basically a grain for grain switch, I've found it is a little faster. I grabbed a few one pound bottles when it came out. I did order a jug of it I haven't cracked until yet.

I did a side by side comparison with 223 and 52 smk, 22-250 with the smk and 308 with a 168 hpbt, all same charges vs Varget . The SWP did great with the 223 and 22-250, but in the 308 fell a bit behind. Velocity was a bit higher.

I loaded some up in my 6mm Dasher and couldn't get to 2900 fps with a 107 Smk before I hit pressure.

Maybe the new jug will have a little different burn rate. I don't have anything bad to say about it, just don't use your Varget data, work up as you normally would. I did just try it with a budget AR and 24.5gr with a 69gr TMK. Wasn't the greatest match up, going to try it again with SMKs that don't have to be so far in the case.

I will thanks. I'm gonna try in 223 also. Was hoping to get the same accuracy I get with Varget.

I know this is a few months old but I hope this info helps.
I bought the Shooters World Tactical Rifle as that is what the Hornady manual says to use to get more velocity from 165 gr for 308 win.
To get the best groups in my 308 I worked up from 42.3 grs to 43.3 gr and got 2667 average and good accuracy so I'm gonna use the S W Tactical Rifle powder.
I still have my favorite Varget loads but as you have noticed Varget is hard to find.
Old Rooster

I bought 8ld of the precision. I found that I need 1.5gr more to achieve the same velocity roughly as Varget. My rifle will shoot consistent .4 in groups with Varget and 168 Eld-m and 165sst. With precision it opens up to between 1/2 and less than 3/4. That's ok tho. Good enough for what I wanna do.

Any luck?

A little older thread, but I have found similar results.

Pressures up a little faster than Varget and less speed. It has shot the smaller pills in 308 a little better than 175-190gr. In my 20" barrel it is about 2498 FPS with Berger 175s. 190s were abissmal. Accuracy is better with the lighter pills as well.

Loaded up a few with 124 Hammers in a 6.5 Creed. Pressured up faster and lower charges than what is on the bottle for 123 Hornady's. All under an inch from 40-42gr in .5gr increments though. So it will shoot. Will chrono and see.

Varget replacement it is not, however in these times...you gotta shoot what you got...

I had good luck with it and in a few cases, better than Varget. In fact, I gave my Varget to a friend. I had nothing that liked it over other powders. Guess I never got on the Varget bandwagon. Another nice feature of the SW powders is they are flash suppressed for those shooting short barrels.

I had good luck with it and in a few cases, better than Varget. In fact, I gave my Varget to a friend. I had nothing that liked it over other powders. Guess I never got on the Varget bandwagon. Another nice feature of the SW powders is they are flash suppressed for those shooting short barrels.

What cartridges? Pills?

I have found good accuracy with the lighter stuff, but med weight pills accuracy was just meh.

What cartridges? Pills?

I have found good accuracy with the lighter stuff, but med weight pills accuracy was just meh.
243AI, 243, 308, 250ai with hammers, sierra 85 gr hpbt and 75 hp are a few that come to mind. A friend wanted to try it in his 6xc with light bullets so he has the varget. Precision has shot well for me so I'll stay with that. Not to mention Varget being expensive and hard to get so I dont bother with it.