Shim for zero stop

cowboybart

I have read that a person can make a non zero stop scope - a zero stop by building shims for the turret. Is this possible?
I have several BR scopes that do not have a zero stop, but I would like to not get lost in my dialing. If I can make shims, I'll do it. I just need to know how to measure on what thickness I need and where to put them.

I have read that a person can make a non zero stop scope - a zero stop by building shims for the turret. Is this possible?
I have several BR scopes that do not have a zero stop, but I would like to not get lost in my dialing. If I can make shims, I'll do it. I just need to know how to measure on what thickness I need and where to put them.
I've done it on several scopes it will work on some and others it won't go to your hardware store buy the od size nylon washer that will fit in the turret and stack them in until you get to where you can go back past your zero a few clicks you may have to sand one a little to get the desired setting which is easy enough cost is cheap. David

Here is another option I use, may or may not work for you. Use this method at your own discretion, but it works well if your scope function allows it

Last edited:
Here is another option I use, may or may not work for you. Use this method at your own discretion, but it works well.

I've also done this on some leupold scopes I have won't work on all scopes. David

Nice link - Thanx Cody

For the non D&T scopes - Where does the o-ring, nylon, plastic, aluminum, S/S shims go??

Nice link - Thanx Cody

For the non D&T scopes - Where does the o-ring, nylon, plastic, aluminum, S/S shims go??
Between the turret and the scope body, remove the turret, place the washers, reinstall the turret.

I have used pvc or similar pipe, measure the ID of the turret and see what will fit…..I make a mental note where the bottom of the turret stops on the elevation post(most have numbers) and then measure that. Cut the pipe to that length which will be long, I then take off some using sand paper or if it's extremely long hacksaw. Once you get to the spot where it was(which a person could cut a piece of freezer tape or painters tape and mark with a pen or whatever you choose to get a more accurate visual) set it at zero and start dialing and see if it returns to zero, if it's too tall yet take more off and repeat…..too short, well try again with another piece.

Good luck

I too have lost my zero before when dialing my scopes.
I foung a different way to return to zero without a zero stop.
Once I zero my rifle, I set my elevation turret to show "0" on the dial as we all do.
I then turn the turret towards its bottom while counting how many moa or mils have gone by until the turret hits bottom.
If it ends up being 35 moa to the bottom, I put this on my stock drop chart for reference.
If I get lost on where my zero is, I turn my turret to bottom out and then turn it back 35 moa to my zero.