No zero stop?

frostop

So my current scope does not have zero stop. What are guys doing if there is no zero stop? Just remembering where it is, marking the scope some how? Kind of a stupid question, but I was taught there are no stupid question except a question not asked??

Gary

I build aluminum or plastic shims to go under the turret. They allow you to go past zero but will only let you get about 1/2 way to the next zero. There are a lot of sizes in aluminum tube available so it could be very easy for someone to make their own.

I build aluminum or plastic shims to go under the turret. They allow you to go past zero but will only let you get about 1/2 way to the next zero. There are a lot of sizes in aluminum tube available so it could be very easy for someone to make their own.

Yep, others use o-rings or something similar too!

It's a Nikon Prostaff with XR turret.
I have gotten other things from SWFA, I will check that out.
Thank you guys for the helpful advise.:D

Well, I will have to give them a jingle. If not I will have to come up with something myself.

Thanks again guys!! I knew someone here would have a suggestion!

I googled Nikon Prostaff XR turret and got this picture. If you notice under the turret there are horizontal lines. Those are index lines, and some have numbers. If you turn the turret up you will notice more lines appear and if you turn the turret down you will notice they disappear. Those index lines are there to help you keep track of how many times the turret has been turned. After zeroing my scopes I take a sharpie and make on note for what index line is visible from the shooters perspective. I usually do it on top of the rear scope ring or on the scope tube itself behind between the turret and shooter. As an example I'll put "BL-2" as in base line 2, base line means "starting point" or zero. This allows the shooter and spotter (when available) a quick glance to see where the scope is compared to it's zero.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 24
[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kwW1eGF3PU4[/ame]

I also just watched this video from Nikon about your scope. The host says that the custom turrets do not allow you to dial elevation down past your zero, maybe the custom turrets have a zero stop built into them. Have you sent off for your custom turrets?

Bravo,

Thank you for the reply, I have not sent off for the custom one yet, still working on a load that I like and tweaking the rifle. Thank you again I will look into that, hopefully there is a built in zero stop?!

Well I got my XR Turret last night and put it on this morning.

It does have a zero stop, but it is rather simple and there is a catch, in my case I am zeroed at 100yds, the turret will only turn one complete revolution which in my case, with the turret, gives me a max of slightly over 550yds.

The turret itself has a small pin that stick out on the inside vertical surface and the housing has machined bolstered on the adjacent vertical surface, the pin simply bumps that bolster at zero and at one full revolution.

At this point this is ok with me, I have given myself a max of 600yds with this load,
280AI 175 gk 2792fps. In the future with more practice and confidence I may try one of Nikons other turrets, in which case I will likely have to come up with a different zero stop.

I have the SWFA scopes and the shims work well. Now you have me wondering about other models? Like Zeiss Conquests for example?

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.